Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: I want to ride my bicycle

Type
    INFP
    The gleeful reactions of people riding a fixie for the first time are priceless

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    intp
    We've currently got a UCI cycling event happening in my city. It attracts a few of the really top riders, so it's cool. It's a 6 stage tour.

Today we have this thing where you ride the stage that you start several hours before the pros and ride the same route. So we did that. Real top day.

Here's me at the front the group of my riding buddies and a bunch of other randoms. I was setting a cracking pace.

Spoiler: image...

Nice fun day. The intermediate sprint, we were 5km out, my friend got a serious face, and hit some pace, so I stuck on his wheel. Then I ended up on the front somehow, which is not good for tactics because he's just using me as a wind block while I make the effort. 2km out he launched an attack. I dragged him back in but was then back on the front somehow. Then another guy launched an attack, and I dragged him back in again. Then it was kind of pandemonium, because we were about 400m from the end. This guy had been sitting on my wheel the whole time, perfect tactics. He won. I came last. Epic battle.

I rode 172km. My second longest ride. The last 40km, I started to feel a little sick. It was a real grind. At some points I was sure I was about to vomit. Maybe heat stroke. I had made quite a few big exertion efforts earlier in the day, so probably that too. Average speed of 26-27km/h. I know I'm really unfit, because I spend a lot of time sitting at a desk, and don't go for all that many rides. But, it seems alright.

Beer and pizza at home.

Banned
    Type
    ENTP
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 02-07-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spa'am

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    We've currently got a UCI cycling event happening in my city. It attracts a few of the really top riders, so it's cool. It's a 6 stage tour.

Today we have this thing where you ride the stage that you start several hours before the pros and ride the same route. So we did that. Real top day.

Here's me at the front the group of my riding buddies and a bunch of other randoms. I was setting a cracking pace.

Spoiler: image...

Nice fun day. The intermediate sprint, we were 5km out, my friend got a serious face, and hit some pace, so I stuck on his wheel. Then I ended up on the front somehow, which is not good for tactics because he's just using me as a wind block while I make the effort. 2km out he launched an attack. I dragged him back in but was then back on the front somehow. Then another guy launched an attack, and I dragged him back in again. Then it was kind of pandemonium, because we were about 400m from the end. This guy had been sitting on my wheel the whole time, perfect tactics. He won. I came last. Epic battle.

I rode 172km. My second longest ride. The last 40km, I started to feel a little sick. It was a real grind. At some points I was sure I was about to vomit. Maybe heat stroke. I had made quite a few big exertion efforts earlier in the day, so probably that too. Average speed of 26-27km/h. I know I'm really unfit, because I spend a lot of time sitting at a desk, and don't go for all that many rides. But, it seems alright.

Beer and pizza at home.
    172km :O
    Wow! And i think i am cool when i bearly make 100 Kilometres on one whole day - with breaks of course
    I wouldnt call you unfit. Most of my mates wouldnt even dream of riding 172km. Never. Seems pretty professional to me. Im also active in this community and most of us guys there wont make it that fair, i would guess.
    Maybe you should check it out sometime, it a nice and helpful community
    Last edited by maxangel; 03-18-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Type
    intp
    I've got to stop cycling with the people I ride with. I really think they're autistic weirdos. We start riding up the hill, and we're literally doing 100w, my friends in the middle of the road, with a car behind us. That's a crawling pace. So I'm like "speed up guys" So the two friends I'm with speed up a bit, and then just take off into the distance. I yelled "hey it's a bit fast!" and he said "well you said speed up!" There are values between 100 and 300w for fuck's sake! I'm preparing to ride across Japan in a week, so I've been riding a lot, whereas they're completely fresh. I kept up for a bit, but the pace is too much. They're sitting on 300w or so. So I'm just riding along, they're riding off chatting to each other. I was sitting on about 270w, so not much slower. I kicked it up to 320 for a while to see if I could bridge the gap, but I was struggling. So I just rode up the hill alone, listening to music on headphones, with them a few hundred metres ahead riding just slightly faster. Wtf? Why do I get up at a specific time to go riding with people if we're not actually riding together? It's fucking stupid.

It happens weirdly often too. The other guy, rides at this faster pace so pulls away a km, looks back to realise the situation, slows down (hurray!), and when we are about 50m to catching him, speeds up again!! wtf?!

Then this guy is chatting about duty-free purchases at the airport and the specific amount you can claim. For 5 fucking minutes. And "how much luggage are you taking?"

We kept riding, and on the downhills, I'm literally not pedalling and this guy is falling behind. He fucking brakes! So I'm all like "fuck it" and just sit on some steady tempo and ride away from them. Why the fuck are we riding together?

Then we're riding through this valley. I stopped to let them catch up, and start riding behind them. They see I've waited, and they've overtaken me, so they slow down to this fucking crawling pace so I can catch up. I've fucking been pulling away from you the last 5 minutes! Then we're riding at this crawling pace. I'm literally pedalling a few strokes at 100w (ridiculously low power) and then I'm almost hitting into their wheel because it's so god damn slow. Then my friend is at 220w, so I match that, and then suddenly they're both just dropping off! Back down to 100. Wtf. We're all capable of riding at a normal pace. But they just get distracted, so you're always speeding up or slowing down.

One of these guys three times almost caused a devastating crash because of lack of spacial awareness.

So I said to the main culprit "we really need to sort out the pacing! Our power is jumping all around the place. It's really distracting." and he said "it's just that I tend to not change gear often, and I also don't pedal when doing down hills." wtf.

We got to the top of this hill and they had to go home, so I kept going to read 100km. Lovely day.

Better to ride along I think.