Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheapest multifunction injet to maintain?

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Hi.

I've been through that cycle a couple of times. Inkjets that use pigment based inks clog more easily
    Thanks for the info! My printer sure does clog easily...

but dye based inks smear more and even pigment inks smear. The smearing of even pigment based inks was significant to me.
    Yeah I remember old inkjets smearing...

Also, you're supposed to print something once a week. I'd forget and get clogs all of the time.
    Maybe I'll print the printer test page then...

I finally got a laser printer. Zero smearing and the toner lasts much longer.
    I hardly print things though...

Whichever inkjet you get, mail a letter to yourself to see how badly it smears. Don't bother trying to duplicate this by folding and weighting it down. I bought a brayer to roll a clean sheet of paper against freshly inkjet printer paper to prevent the ink from smearing in the sorters (it's the high speed rollers that does it) but I ended up just getting a laser printer.

When I was shopping for an inkjet I remembered reading in the past about manually cleanable print heads and I searched for inkjets that used them and I found a bunch of different terms for them and models but they were all old and I found nothing.
    I'm not too concerned about that kind of smearing but that's interesting.

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    I hardly print things though...
    I should have said you could go longer without using it. With an inkjet you're supposed to replace cartridges every 6 months or something, whether you printed one page or 1000. With the toner that printers use you don't have to and you don't have to print weekly to prevent clogs.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    I'll probably get a HP 3720 for A$59 (US$44) which is wireless. A non-wireless version is A$48. Their cartridges are A$22 and are meant to last for 120 pages. It has all 3 colours in the 1 cartridge rather than me having to buy the colours separately like with my Epson XP-200.

The cheapest laser printer is A$77 and A$197 with a built in scanner. I want a scanner. Laser printers seem to be really bulky and the cheapest colour multifunction one is A$296. (I sometimes use colours if doing a colour copy, etc)

BTW according to Wikipedia deep cleaning is need to be done due to air bubbles.
    It's needed so you waste more ink thus causing you to buy more ink. It's basically a racket. The only reason the printer is so cheap is because they're making all of their money on the cartridges.

Type
    INTP
    Well I got a HP 3720 for A$59 (US$44). It has a scanner feeder instead of a flatbed scanner so the printer is about half the size of regular multifunction printers. I put in the CD in Windows 10 then it suggested I get the drivers online and it automatically took me to the site. I didn't plug the printer into the computer but it automatically set up the wifi for the printer. When installing the printer it said I had to create an online account to enable all of the printer features. I put in my full name, postcode and created a password. Then it printed out a test page which showed an email address that I can send emails to to print it out. I forwarded it an email with an image and excel file. It printed out the photo quite tiny. It has print meters for both cartridges on the printer's screen. The guy who sold it to me says it has 2 regular "65" cartridges - they're normally A$22 each. I'm glad it didn't come with 3 colours. I asked the guy whether it still prints in B & W if the colour cartridge is empty and he said it does (unlike my Epson). I asked him what he thought of the printer and he said he doesn't like them but I'm happy with it. My wife's mother also has 2 HP printers and her main one is an expensive one and has had it for ages. So far there haven't been any gaps in the print out. My Epson printer had huge gaps in the print out.

BTW I extended the warranty to 3 years for A$14 (from Officeworks). After that I could just buy another printer for a similar price. The initial download was 5-8 Mb (on Windows/Mac) and the main download was 100 Mb (with optional parts). I found the HP scanning program for Mac to be quite nice. A laser printer is too big, bulky and the cheap ones can't do colour copies (also most don't have a scanner to make the copies)

Maybe other HP printers have issues but the one I got was very good. The only issues are that I'd hoped the attached excel file I sent in the email to the printer would have printed out and the photo was smaller than expected - on the other hand printing out big photos would use a lot of ink. Also I used the scanner on a Mac that was pretty far away and it took a while to get the paper to feed into the scanner but I'm getting used to it. Flatbed scanners are more fool proof. BTW I only print out one or a couple of pages every now and then - sometimes with breaks of a few months.

BTW on Australia's eBay site there is a refill kit which includes 200 mL of black ink and a cartridge stabilizer for A$17. It says it is equivalent to 40 cartridges. There are also compatible (fake) cartridges for my HP printer.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 05-19-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Type
    INTP
    At "Big W" the HP DeskJet All-in-One Printer 2131 is now A$19 (US$15) (was A$39). It comes with the two standard cartridges ("63" type). These are normally A$26 for B & W and A$33 for colour, which is more expensive than other HP printer cartridges like mine ("65" type for A$23 each).
    https://www.bigw.com.au/product/hp-d...2131/p/478353/
    It got a very negative review though. It isn't wireless so I'm glad which HP one I got.
    I wonder how much money HP is losing with this deal...