Thread: Thoughts on playing the Sims 48 hour free trial

Type
    INTP

Thoughts on playing the Sims 48 hour free trial

1. It is indeed satisfying to be able to design your own character and your own home pretty much to your liking, given the constraints of the game

2. My initial character spent most of her free time playing chess and reading. She eventually made one good friend who became her best friend, but the few times I tried to push a romantic attachment, things got awkward. By the time she actually started dating someone who was flirtatious toward her, she aged up to be an adult, and he aged up to be an elder. The chemistry fizzled. :/

3. Like much of the game, I find this to be uncomfortably reminiscent of real life.

4. Unlike real life, a lot of time was spent trouble-shooting arbitrary game mechanics, like figuring out how the get the Sims to clean up their damn messes, eat their damn food, etc. I belatedly figured out that both parties need to be able to access the bed from opposite sides for any woohoo to occur.

5. There was something really satisfying about having my Sim contentedly playing chess on her front porch, which was prettily decorated with simple, tasteful artwork and a few potted plants.

6. Trying to cram in as much quality game play as I could during the trial, I found myself rushing my building and then rushing my "work of living" to the detriment of both. The next house I built, although constructed in a very similar manner, did not turn out to be as aesthetically satisfying.

7. The second Sim I created got a head start on the dating game and carried on an affair with two of her friends. By the time the trial ended I was contemplating whether or not she should marry her guy friend, who was neat (pro) but also childish (con). I wondered if marrying him would give me an opportunity to try to micromanage his life to my/her advantage.

8. Again, uncomfortably reminiscent of real life.

9. I felt like my second Sim spent so much time socializing and fornicating (I had the woohoo mechanics figured out by that point) she didn't really appreciate my design efforts, which were admittedly somewhat lackluster at that point.

10. Despite the design aspects to be the most interesting part of the game, I found myself spending more time on the life aspects - partly to acquire money but mostly out of the game-reward compulsion, which I find both addictive and distasteful.

11. The profound irony of compelling my Sim to eat, sleep, jog, etc., all the while severely neglecting those aspects of my own life.

All in all, I enjoyed the experiment but I was glad when it ended. I think I could handle actually owning the game if I learned to treat it like a bonzai tree: something I would cultivate by investing small, regular amounts of time in.

I'm not sure I trust myself to be able to do that, given the rather bulimic relationship I have with video games. But it's a nice thought.

Not worth the investment right now, anyway. I have no shortage of things to do with my time.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Mm, I played earlier.. for about 40 minutes.

Finally desensitized enough to the game that I no longer care to sink hours into it.

I seriously lack imagination, so for the 948th time Sinny was a singleton, reading/hacking/doing DIY, working to afford the finer things in life.. I only looked away for a few minutes, but by the time I came back she had Cyclone in her bed.. I didn't particularly want him hanging around the flat I was doing up, so I kicked him out, wrote a few novels and then started chatting up Connor Frio.. who ways makes for a good bit on the side, as long as you don't mind pissing off his girlfriend Claire.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    intp
    I find the Sims to be profoundly dull. Someone here compared it to playing with dolls. It was a positive comparison but it also explains why I dislike it.

Now different types of sim games I can get into, like Sim City.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I find the Sims to be profoundly dull. Someone here compared it to playing with dolls. It was a positive comparison but it also explains why I dislike it.

I forgot I had SimCity.
    You've just given me something to do.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    XXXX
    Growing up, my younger sister had all the Sims and played them often. I remember playing the game once. I named my character Randle Patrick McMurphy, after the protagonist in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, and I tried to create a tree farm but fell into financial ruin in the process. Then I killed the character in a fire.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post

I feel like Sim City suffered from the same problems as the Oregon Trail reboot: way too many variables to fiddle with, so it takes forever to get things set up well enough to get going, and then way too many things can go wrong after you're finally on your way. Overall: tedious and frustrating. Not worth the considerable effort involved.

The Sims, while catering to a more teenage sensor demographic, has simplicity on its side. You can throw together a reasonably personalized game setup in twenty minutes and start achieving goals within an hour.

Type
    INTP
    I never played the new sim city reboot because of the atrocious reviews, but cities :skylines is dope. I agree that the Sims is a dollhouse simulator for girls. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just never found it entertaining. Maybe if they added the potential for real life dark drama, like murder and theft and molestation. I could enjoy playing a drug addicted terrorist polygamist compound Sims, or something like that, but you're basically restricted to sitcom options.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I never played the new sim city reboot because of the atrocious reviews, but cities :skylines is dope.
    that one does look fun.