Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with contempt?

Type
    INtP
    You know, the title of this thread is "What do you do with contempt." I posted. Then, a barrage of posts flooded in telling me that my personal opinions and thoughts are all wrong.

No, I answered the question. You guys have such nerve telling me what my opinions should be! @Robcore, this is a thread where people express their personal experiences and thoughts. It's pretty arrogant that you tried to correct my damn thoughts!

I rarely see anyone ask why another poster takes a certain position; no, you might learn something. Instead, just show off and try to prove how stupid and misguided other people are. And please, do correct them.

What arrogance and lack of intellectual curiosity, to boot. Jesus.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I think the feeling of contempt can be a useful indicator to pinpoint what people value or hold dear at a core, gut, emotional level - by looking at what is being violated by the behavior that is inspiring contempt.

Taking TeresaJ's example, I'd guess that she values conscientious parenting, that Dot values teaching/learning that helps people grow mentally/philosophically/emotionally, and that Lurker values a sacred intimacy where vulnerability is cared for and protected. (Could be completely wrong on this).
    I think you're completely right.

I don't hold a lot of people in long term contempt.. Though being a reactive gut type, I readily hold people in immediate contempt, for whatever incompetence, but those feelings quickly fade and I'm soon once more open to acceptance & dialogue.

I'd rather things be open than fester behind closed doors, where thoughts/feelings and ideas are prone to becoming isolated paracosms and gross caricatures.

The sorts of people I hold in inherent contempt are those malevolent beings most deserving of it.. those who ooze callousness and hypocrisy.

The Israelis opened fire on more then 2000 Palestinian protesters last week and shot down dead more than 50 unarmed men, women and children.

The vile, despicable, neo-liberal BBC reported in this with the Pro Israeli propagandised headlines "Gaza clashes amid violent protests"

Utterly fucking ludicrous, nothing short of state sanctioned mass murder - just like the mass murders sanctioned in Northern Ireland... About which today's headlines read "Former Army chiefs slam Northern Ireland ‘witch hunt’ and demand amnesty for British soldiers caught up in Troubles"

The enemy is all around us, but most people are happy to mindlessly walk into the chains of their own slavery, and for that, I hold most the masses in general contempt too.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    You know, the title of this thread is "What do you do with contempt." I posted. Then, a barrage of posts flooded in telling me that my personal opinions and thoughts are all wrong.

No, I answered the question. You guys have such nerve telling me what my opinions should be! @Robcore, this is a thread where people express their personal experiences and thoughts. It's pretty arrogant that you tried to correct my damn thoughts!

I rarely see anyone ask why another poster takes a certain position; no, you might learn something. Instead, just show off and try to prove how stupid and misguided other people are. And please, do correct them.

What arrogance and lack of intellectual curiosity, to boot. Jesus.
    Your problem is that that you read too much into what others say.. and take even the smallest of things personally.

Even if you do take them personally, why tell others that you are taking them personally?

I don't particularly like hearing what some people say about me, but they have or will say it and getting offended won't change it.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Your problem is that that you read too much into what others say.. and take even the smallest of things personally.

Even if you do take them personally, why tell others that you are taking them personally?

I don't particularly like hearing what some people say about me, but they have or will say it and getting offended won't change it.
    Please hear me out.

Okay, I'm not taking it personally in the way you probably think. I do take it personally when someone lectures me. And frankly -- here's honesty for you -- his points so tone deaf they seemed stupid.

Obviously, I have reasons for thinking the way I do. So does Robcore. An inquisitive person would be interested in how our backgrounds influenced our present attitudes

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    I tell brainwashed idiots and neopuritans the harsh truth and fight them with facts. They just dilute and rotten on them. Or perhaps they just don't care and move on.
    Like I do.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Please hear me out.

Okay, I'm not taking it personally in the way you probably think. I do take it personally when someone lectures me. And frankly -- here's honesty for you -- his points so tone deaf they seemed stupid.

Obviously, I have reasons for thinking the way I do. So does Robcore. An inquisitive person would be interested in how our backgrounds influenced our present attitudes
    Well I just carefully reviewed the thread, and I I don't think your accusation that "everybody told you you were wrong" has any merit.

Nor do I think Robcore "lectured" you, nor do I think his points are without merit.

You specifically quoted Robcore first and stated "No" to his opinion, so he then continued to explain his position so you might then better understand.

But in your world, these events were reversed.

I find that disconcerting.

Type
    INFP
    @Sinny just want to point out that almost everyone on this forum, including you, takes and expresses offense frequently. We're all guilty. Of course everyone thinks they take offense about the 'right' things, or else they wouldn't take offense in the first place, so I don't think attempting to convince anyone about the incorrectness of their offense will be fruitful.

Type
    INTJ
    If I seriously hold someone in contempt, I'll literally just laugh at them. Couldn't think of a worse punishment, and it works surprisingly well.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    @Sinny just want to point out that almost everyone on this forum, including you, takes and expresses offense frequently. We're all guilty. Of course everyone thinks they take offense about the 'right' things, or else they wouldn't take offense in the first place, so I don't think attempting to convince anyone about the incorrectness of their offense will be fruitful.
    As frequently as Lurker though?
    She sees offence where there's none to be taken.

Zombie Jesus Bloody School Daze's Avatar
    Type
    xNTP
    It would depend on my relationship with the person I felt contempt towards. If they were in a position of power over me, for instance, I might behave differently than if I had power over them, or if we had a neutral relationship.

I think if it was just some random person I'd avoid interacting with them, and if we were forced to interact try to keep it brief. If I felt comfortable expressing it I would, otherwise hold it in because I don't like starting fights that have too much fallout attached.

The people I hold in contempt generally are people who think they're hot shit but aren't, or people that are overly manipulative for the sole purpose (as it appears to me) of putting others down.
    Last edited by Bloody School Daze; 05-18-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    If I'm so wonderful then why am I so misunderstood?
    Everybody has a reason for it except me

-Mindless Self Indulgence

When one's life is in your hands, you become their god.
    -One of the villains from the Abraxas Wren series.