Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shit Coffee (aka Kopi Luwak)

Type
    INTP

Shit Coffee (aka Kopi Luwak)

We need to talk about this. It's called Kopi Luwak.

Someone showed this to me the other day and it keeps crossing my mind.

People are brewing of the excrement of civets, and passing it as high end coffee. These animals eat the coffee beans, poop it out, people collect it, clean it (I assume..), roast it, brew it, and drink it.

The logic is that the beans ferment in a special way in their stomach, so when they poop it out, it's "something special". It's slowly gaining popularity in the Western world, so as you can imagine there is a rise in "civet farms" where these animals are held captive. Many conservationists think this is really bad news for civets.

Some coffee critics think that it isn't all that great, and it isn't worth harming animals over mediocre coffee.

Have any of you tried it? What are your thoughts? Would you try it? The idea of it kind of grosses me out, personally. I also don't think it's worth harming civets over. There is already a lot of great coffee out there...

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Yet another way to inflict suffering on a fellow creature for short-lived kicks? No thanks.

Type
    INtP
    Shoot. I saw the title and I was eager to come in and complain about all the shitty "Breakfast Blend" coffee that was gifted to me that I feel compelled to drink up anyway, even though it is subpar.

But we're talking about literal shit coffee. Under different circumstances, I might have tried it but now the image of it exiting an actual anus is seared in my mind. I'll pass.

They should pass legislation similar to tobacco products where it's mandated the picture of the civet shitting is on the side of the package to dissuade people from consuming it.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    I've heard from several sources that it tastes like shit. I don't remember hearing anything good.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP

anddd I can never eat a PayDay ever again

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Under different circumstances, I might have tried it but now the image of it exiting an actual anus is seared in my mind. I'll pass.
    That was intentional.

They should pass legislation similar to tobacco products where it's mandated the picture of the civet shitting is on the side of the package to dissuade people from consuming it.
    I think that'd be a great idea. I think the rise in popularity would stop if more people were viscerally aware of how this coffee is "made".

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    My moral side says it is a bad thing to do arm to animals
    But I still eat meat, drink milk and puke tomatoes
    My thinking side says I don't care because I can't feel them, I have no connection to the whatsoever, ever read the stranger? Something like that.

I wouldn't drink it because I don't like coffee

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I ate a giant bag of pistachios from Costco once and my shit looked like that the next day.

I bet I could get "foodies" to buy some predigested probiotic enriched pistachios.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Poor civets. We're always mining their anuses for profit. First for parfum, now coffee.

They aren't the only animals pin the shit list either. They also feed coffee cherries to elephants.

Makes the freaks steeping caterpillar turds (from a catetpillar that eats tea) seem sane.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    If someone plopped down a cup of the stuff in front of me, I might just drink it.