Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video game music you consider exemplary

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Final Fantasy is coming up a lot. Some of it I like, but the female vocal pop-style lead is distressing honestly.
    What kind of game is it anyway?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Final Fantasy is coming up a lot. Some of it I like, but the female vocal pop-style lead is distressing honestly.
    I like more of the Final Fantasy instrumental music, personally. The female vocal music is best served in-game within a context than on its own.

Type
    InTP
    Really enjoy this guy's videos
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Jesper Kyd's work on the Assassin's Creed games got him a permanent place on my biking setlist. Especially on an Autumn evening, the tension of his chase music really brings something to trying to roar down leaf littered pathways.

Stuart Chatwood's work on the Prince of Persia series is almost as good, though the misstep in the pseudo-pop dying for the end of the first game is pretty awful. But excellent for the expectations of the time. It is awful to try and maintain motivation with.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    The soundtracks of:

What Remains of Edith Finch by Jeff Russo
    Submerged by Jeff Van Dyck
    Rise of the Tomb Raider by Bobby Tahouri
    Brutal Legend by Peter McConnell
    Slain: Back from Hell
    Robotech: Invasion by Jesper Kyd (who, in general, can do no wrong, imo)
    Axiom Verge by Thomas Happ
    Super Metroid
    Zelda: Windwaker by Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Toru Minegishi, Koji Kondo (particularly good examples: this and this)

Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Trailer

edit: as for why...

Each excellently accompanies and elevates the mood, the style, the overall experience of its game. In a way that is integrated. By that I mean, I can't separate the game from the soundtrack; they form a cohesive whole. Subjective, of course, but I suppose there are objective factors at work, hence matters of skill/method by which one may obtain this effect by design? I admit to near total ignorance on the matter. I can only report on the experience, the subjective net effect.
    Last edited by Ptah; 05-22-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Gassy ~ A 'torm is brew'n Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Morrowind (composed by Jeremy Soule) is perhaps my favorite game soundtrack which I seem to have overlooked when I compiled my Soundcloud playlist which includes video game music or inspired music, in addition to some that have similar styling (I suppose you could call it "stock music" that movie producers often incorporate). Most of my playlist is probably suited for the task you are looking for. Damjan Mravunac's work in Talos Principle is one of my favorites.

Castlevania SotN, Mass Effect series, Deus Ex, Squaresoft games (Yasunori Mitsuda, Nubuo Uematsu) World of Warcraft (created by a list of musicians) etc.

Perhaps think of any successful movie composer and how they incorporated music.

Film composers who have worked on video games

I should also note that modern video games use triggered sound clips that overlap an atmosphere for various ambiance, and no longer do they necessarily have a looped play track, as much as they use to.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 05-22-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Last edited by flurps; 05-22-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Type
    INTP

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Bloodborne has awesome music, a mixture of 2nd viennese school, horror movie music, ligeti.

It works so well because both it matches the world aesthetically, but not historically. People see bloodborne as "gothic" when it's actually victorian, and the music, which harkens to 20th century music heavily, occupies a similar fuzzy area.
    I will forever quote any mention of Bloodborne - at this point I can't think of any game I've adored more, save for Tetris.

As for "game" music:

Type
    INTP
    I definitely still remember this game's music as notably good even though the game is ancient history.

Hard to say why--I'm not a music-theory sort of person at all--but I think it stood out because, given the very limited graphics capability of the hardware at the time the soundtrack in games from this era often had to shoulder a lot of the heavy lifting as far as creating a sense of immersion in the game.

I dunno, it just did a pretty impeccable job of evoking the appropriate mood to go with the situations that the basic graphics were trying to get you to imagine yourself in the middle of.

It's not a complicated game. There's virtually no narrative or character interaction--just a series of missions where you drive your robot-tank around a variety of sparse alien landscapes looking for things to shoot at.

But the music just fits that really well. It hits all the right buttons of evoking a sense of exploring an environment that is both exotic and dangerous, and doing that mostly by yourself. It's ambient and atmospheric to bring out the sense of "I am far from home on some random planet in a remote corner of a huge galaxy", but also keeps you immersed in a sense of slowly simmering tension and the need to be vigilant for dangerous things you might unexpectedly encounter, and that you're fighting in an interstellar war so there are important stakes riding on your actions in goings-on that aren't necessarily happening only in your immediate vicinity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdLATb2cj9k
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.