Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Doo Wop & Vocal Groups

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    TIL

wikipedia:
    Origins
    "Oh Happy Day" was one of the first pop hits whose momentum was driven by the high-school teen set. Described as a "garage hit," before the song was recorded, Don Howard Kaplow sang it accompanied by his guitar before his classmates at Cleveland Heights High School, in Cleveland, Ohio. At a Saturday high-school dance, the boys and girls called 13 times for "Oh Happy Day". This convinced Koplow to put the song on wax. Once it was played on the air, teenage fans besieged the disc jockey, Phil McLean of radio station WERE with requests that kept him spinning the song all week. Calls began coming in from nearby cities, and it was decided the record should go to market. A contract was signed in early November 1952 and "Oh Happy Day" went on sale. Upon release by a brand new record company (Triple A), 21,000 copies quickly sold around Cleveland. Then the record was leased to another label (Essex) for national distribution. By February 1953, it was pushing the half-million mark.

Time Magazine reported in 1953 that "Oh Happy Day" had a "folklike origin: Donnie heard it sung by an Ohio State girlfriend, who had picked it up on the campus. Donnie worked it out on his guitar, changed it a bit, wrote some lyrics, sang it at parties and prudently got it copyrighted.." Six weeks later, while "Oh Happy Day" was still on the pop charts, the Washington Post reported that Nancy Binns Reed, a 28-year-old housewife, had filed a lawsuit to prove that she wrote the song. Represented by Lee Eastman (father of Linda McCartney), a New York copyright and show business attorney, Mrs. Reed obtained affidavits from persons who had heard her singing the song when serving as a counselor at various camps and when she attended the University of California in the 1940s. She stated that many campers and high school and college friends had learned the song. The lawsuit resulted in an out-of-court cash settlement along with an agreement that Mrs. Reed and Mr. Kaplow share equal credit for the song's words and music. Music Views magazine reported in its June 1953 edition that Kaplow's girlfriend had graduated from a girl's camp, where Ms. Reed had served as a counselor.

Chart Performance

"Oh Happy Day" (not to be confused with the gospel hit of the same name) was known as the "people's hit" since it became a national United States hit song as well as an international hit without any initial support from the music industry.
    oh happy day the "people's hit"... i didn't know any of that history. thinking about all those kids requesting to hear it is so sweet.

i gotta remember to post more five satins/scarlets in here.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTx
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTp
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INTP
    Here's a low view count one that I like:

REMINISCENTS- CARDS OF LOVE

I discovered A Casual Look a few years ago. I liked it enough that I researched the group. The lead seemed to be dissed by everyone, even by her own group, because she supposedly didn't have soul and whatever else.

SIX TEENS - A CASUAL LOOK

I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    My Solid Gold Oldies cable station is now called Sold Gold Oldies: Doo Wop. I'm not sure if it's a regularly scheduled thing or not because I mostly listen to the 70s station but now with the Doo Wop I liked four songs in a row so I may switch back. The four songs were Heartaches, Boys, Since I Don't Have You, and Goodnight Sweetheart. If anyone doesn't know the last two, just look them up because I'm putting them in the too obvious category. I wonder if anyone here other than me and Jigglypuff know the first two.

YouTube plays Tonight after that which is probably also one of my favorites even though I don't think of it.

And here's Boys by the Shirelles:

I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch