Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First World Problems

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    Poor people in the U.S. become fat because SNAP allows them to buy anything with a nutrition label on it. And a lot of them buy garbage food despite having the funds for better and healthier foods because they're fucking stupid.
    Poor people become fat because when a bag of Cheetos is the best part of your day, you eat the bag of Cheetos.

Edit: your example is an excellent example of a bad example. You indict people based on information you don't have but choose to assume because it supports your prejudices.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Edit: your example is an excellent example of a bad example. You indict people based on information you don't have but choose to assume because it supports your prejudices.
    Child please

Type
    INTP
    Poor people in the U.S. become fat because SNAP allows them to buy anything with a nutrition label on it. And a lot of them buy garbage food despite having the funds for better and healthier foods because they're fucking stupid.

I watched a fat ass motherfucker, surely a SNAP recipient, clear out my entire display of $0.50 cherry pies. We are talking upwards of 50 fucking mini pies.

Not to mention the sacks of shit who spend $150 worth of food stamps on a fucking birthday cake. Can't afford healthy food when you use all your fucking benefits on luxury items.

I fucking hate this country.
    Another component of this is what nutritional items are offered in stores in less income areas.

If you take a group of people, provide little, if any, proper nutrition education, and keep them inundated with advertisements for cheap fast food and unhealthy snack items, and provide them with grocery stores which don't carry items of the season nutritional value as other, higher income areas. If left to their own devices, can we really vilify them for not making good decisions?

Sure, you'll always have those that go out of their way to make better choices, but most are going to fall in line with what's convenient and accessible.

I see more of the flaws falling within the structure of the SNAP system than anything else.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    WIC recipients have to sit down with a nutritionist to talk about healthy eating every 3 months in order to renew their benefits. And their food choices are limited to nutritious items. This should be required for SNAP recipients too. There's a SNAP Education program that isn't always required for recipients, but it should be. The best the SNAP phone app has is a Recipes section in it with healthy eating options. Either way, I don't think the education would make much of a difference as long as people are allowed to buy anything they want.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Child please
    This does not constitute a rebuttal.

Edit: if you wish to compose a real rebuttal, keep in mind what the criticism I'm leveling is. I am accusing you of having a prejudice about a group of people, then seeing someone single-handedly justify your employment for an hour, indict them as belonging to that group solely based on them exhibiting the behavior your prejudice claims people of that group do, and then using it to justify your prejudice against that group.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 05-28-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Poor people become fat because when a bag of Cheetos is the best part of your day, you eat the bag of Cheetos.
    No, you don't. If eating a bag of Cheetos is the best part of your day, you get a bloody grip on your life and turn it around into something better.

It's not the state's responsibility to micromanage the needs of its citizens. It is, contrarily, the citizen's responsibility to lead a reasonably healthy life and not become a burden to the medical system and society.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    I am accusing you of having a prejudice about a group of people, then seeing someone single-handedly justify your employment for an hour, indict them as belonging to that group solely based on them exhibiting the behavior your prejudice claims people of that group do, and then using it to justify your prejudice against that group.
    Yeah, for this quote you're right.

I watched a fat ass motherfucker, surely a SNAP recipient, clear out my entire display of $0.50 cherry pies. We are talking upwards of 50 fucking mini pies.

Type
    INTP
    I don't believe in micromanaging the benefits of the poor.

Some Tories here would like to see that happen to our Welfare recipients, in order to make sure what little they do get, gets spent on food, electric, gas and not tobacco or alcohol.

But the whole idea is stupid for several reasons.

1) People who abuse the system of benefits are actually in the minority, as compared to how many people use the system appropriately.

2) micromanaging is just callous & punitive, practically legislates distrust.

3) what they receive doesn't even cover the costs of the basics, let alone luxuries.. I can tell you now for a fact, that if you want tobacco or a drink out of your benefits money, it will be costing you at least a few days worth of food.. as long as a person isn't taking that food from their babies mouths, then who the fuck am I to judge them if they'd prefer a decent dinner or a bottle of Vodka?

I'd toss a coin on it too.

We had a social experiment over here not long ago - because making TV programs about poor being poor is now popular amongst the media moguls -

They got a couple of wealthy Members of Parliament (who typically earn about 80,000 a year, have multiple jobs, various business investments, and have their transportation, mulitple housing, eating and clothing costs all covered by the tax payers) to try and live in benefits for two weeks.

They were all broke and destitute by week one and ready to quit, they quickly learned that poor people aren't poor because "they can't budget", but the fact of the matter was the money they had wasn't even enough to budget in all basics.

This is well known by our top charities and top statisticians, but mirthfully disregarded by our right wing politicians.

To give you a rough idea of the numbers, a jobless person here, depending on their age can expect to receive 50-72 pounds a week to live on.

Presuming they have a home to run 30 of that will be spent on utilities. 20-25 of that spent on food.

If you're a younger person, your budget is already blown, before you've even factored in transportation costs, a mobile phone, clothes, or whatever.

Transport on the bus is 5 a day.

So a jobless person who wishes to find a new job, will suddenly find that task very difficult with no phone/internet access and no transportation.

It's a catch 22.

Disabled & sick people face the same problem, as do the "working poor", which is what I would come under.

I work but can just about afford to pay the basic bills.
    And if there are any unexpected bills, I'm royally fucked.

I'm not a huge fan of junk food, and I'd rather skip a meal that resort to some microwave meal or whatever.

But trying to eat healthy all the time is a sure fine way to blow your budget too.

Then besides that is the quality of the food being stocked anyway. It's estimated that we have to eat about 5x more fruit & veg just to get the same nutritional value the world got out of them 10+ years ago.

The only way to eat safely these days is organically, but two days of organic food will probably blow the weekly food budget.

Having said that, I have a general aversion to fat-fucks anyway - but this is regardless if they are rich or poor, at least I can sympathise with poor folk.

And don't even get me started on the housing market.
    There are hundreds of people for any single home we have over here, resulting in the costs flying through the roof.

Dickface wanted me to move to Wales because his whole house costs less than the tiny room I rent.

Wales can suck my dick, and so can this fucking country.
    Last edited by Sinny; 05-28-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    No, you don't. If eating a bag of Cheetos is the best part of your day, you get a bloody grip on your life and turn it around into something better.

It's not the state's responsibility to micromanage the needs of its citizens. It is, contrarily, the citizen's responsibility to lead a reasonably healthy life and not become a burden to the medical system and society.
    Gotta have rocks to pound to make sand. In the meantime, if you can't get rocks, but can get Cheetos and said Cheetos are going to be the highlight of your day, you get the Cheetos.

Yeah, for this quote you're right.
    That was what I was responding to.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    took a xanax to ease my nerves before an interview and subsequently failed the prehire drug test
    Ah yes, the standard 7 panel test will check for benzos. It's fucked up what employers are allowed to look for.
    I've had Americans exclaim disdain at the tradition of including things on a British CV, like nationality, marriage status, and "clean driver's license" (for jobs entailing driving) yet they seem okay with prospective employers taking a peek into their prescriptions and judging them on it. Something that should be private and only known by your doctor.

cite: http://www.mobilehealth.net/screenin...t-drug-panels/