Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How Trump Hurt America

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    "The people with the fuckin money know it's all a hoax - otherwise they wouldn't be making their investments, that's what the people with the fuckin money know!"

Old white men with money will be dead long before it effects any of them...

Here's what Warren Buffett thinks:

Think back to 1951 when I first became enthused about GEICO. The company’s average loss-per-policy was then about $30 annually. Imagine your reaction if I had predicted then that in 2015 the loss costs would increase to about $1,000 per policy. Wouldn’t such skyrocketing losses prove disastrous, you might ask? Well, no.

Over the years, inflation has caused a huge increase in the cost of repairing both the cars and the humans involved in accidents. But these increased costs have been promptly matched by increased premiums. So, paradoxically, the upward march in loss costs has made insurance companies far more valuable. If costs had remained unchanged, Berkshire would now own an auto insurer doing $600 million of business annually rather than one doing $23 billion

Up to now, climate change has not produced more frequent nor more costly hurricanes nor other weather-related events covered by insurance. As a consequence, U.S. super-cat rates have fallen steadily in recent years, which is why we have backed away from that business. If super-cats become costlier and more frequent, the likely — though far from certain — effect on Berkshire’s insurance business would be to make it larger and more profitable.

As a citizen, you may understandably find climate change keeping you up nights. As a homeowner in a low-lying area, you may wish to consider moving. But when you are thinking only as a shareholder of a major insurer, climate change should not be on your list of worries.
    Last edited by jyng1; 06-04-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Type
    INTP
    As a citizen of Earth, I'm not worried about "Climate Change" at all... I see we don't refer to it as global warming anymore, considering its always fucking freezing.

I am worried about pollution, nukes and dirty bombs.

But I'm really not worried about the next Ice Age - nature happens, deal with it.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    As a citizen of Earth, I'm not worried about "Climate Change" at all... I see we don't refer to it as global warming anymore, considering its always fucking freezing.

I am worried about pollution, nukes and dirty bombs.

But I'm really not worried about the next Ice Age - nature happens, deal with it.

I'm not worried about thermalhaline circulation shutdown either. But then I'm not reliant on it like you are.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    That's not ENTIRELY the full picture.

The normal political zeitgeist in the US (and in most of the rest of the western world) was to be SEEN to tell the truth. The weasel words and political language was crafted in such a way that you could see there was an IDEA of truth, a relationship to it. That it was empty and open to interpretation was the entire point of political language: each listener could interpret the politician's speech as their own truth, while simultaneously leaving the politician enough wiggle room to try to claim that they were always telling the truth while still leaving themselves open to being accepted by the widest audience.

Trump made a splash specifically because he comes in with one of the corporate head/executive psychopath traits: he doesn't even give a flying fuck about even being SEEN to tell the truth. Its not even on his radar. He doesn't care about being caught out in lies because analysing his own speech to find actual meaning or even the image of consistency is not in his DNA. He has one trick and one trick only. It ironically stems from his being mentally handicapped and unable to engage in higher thought as a typical low-level psychopath, but in the context of his environment it allows him to thrive, and hence becomes a strength he can hold even over the typical politician class.

Simply deliver everything in a self-aggrandising interpretation and do so with absolute confidence. Anyone and anything who talks him up and supports him is his ally, anyone who says anything against him is an enemy. The reason he can do so with absolute confidence is specifically because as a low level psychopath he lacks the capacity to even have a concept of truth and so literally has no doubts or concerns with his current or past utterings. The traditional political class, for all their lying and weasel words, cannot match him, because in order to lie successfully, they have to consciously engage with the concept of truth and creatively craft a response around it. That takes an immense amount of psychological and social resources: a game at which the traditional political class has excelled.

Trump doesn't lie per se, at least not as he understands it, because in order to "lie successfully" as the politician would describe it, you have to have some concept of the truth that you're trying to be interpreted as saying and the lie you're trying to deny ever having said.

I suspect you're right on the money here, but there is the alternate possibility of psychosis--constantly contradicting oneself can indicate what our legal system calls a "reckless disregard for the truth", but then it's also a symptom of an inability to maintain a durably consistent awareness of what one believes to be true or untrue in one's own mind.

Actually this suddenly makes me think of my ex with Borderline Personality Disorder, which is essentially a close relative (same taxonomic "cluster" and significant overlap of symptoms) of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Evidently the 'Borderline' terminology refers to the difficulty of distinguishing whether certain major symptoms are neurotic or psychotic (they have attributes of both and in some cases can vacillate between one and the other)--particularly the tendency toward pathological lying and "chameleon" behavior.

Essentially the intensity of the neurotic fear of negative perception (self-perception and/or perception of oneself by others) stemming from the deep-seated insecurity about one's self-worth leads to such an outsized compulsion to do whatever is necessary to earn positive regard and reinforcement from whoever is one's immediate audience at any given time that the level of commitment to disingenuous, self-aggrandizing speech and behavior can bleed over into one's internal thought processes enough to blur the distinction between what one says to others to earn validation and what one actually believes to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.