Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prudent or FOMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Beats the shit out of having them show up at your front door though. Think it through.
    Git out me swamp

Type
    INTP
    For those of you poo-pooing the thought of going out, which is basically all of you, on a scale of 1 (not at all) to 10 (condition critical), how important is networking for obtaining or maintaining work?

I haven't tired various sites that have online postings in some time, in the early 00's I could get a gig or two here & there but really I'd say it's easily a 7 for me, with times jumping up to 10. Often by the time I'm reading about something in the trades, it's already too late.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    I haven't tired various sites that have online postings in some time, in the early 00's I could get a gig or two here & there but really I'd say it's easily a 7 for me, with times jumping up to 10. Often by the time I'm reading about something in the trades, it's already too late.
    This was just one of the many reasons I ditched film. I mean, you guys at least have a real industry, where there are some formal channels for job-seeking. We don't even have that, it's so artisanal that it's 100% being at the right place with the right morons.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    intp
    For those of you poo-pooing the thought of going out, which is basically all of you, on a scale of 1 (not at all) to 10 (condition critical), how important is networking for obtaining or maintaining work?
    Maybe 2? I didn't even apply to my last 4 jobs initially, they found my resume online and contacted me. With my latest job I didn't even meet anyone involved in the process until i walked in the door on Monday, it was all over the phone. I don't think anyone even checks references really.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have never gotten a job through a social engagement or networking.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    Fear Of Missing Out

While I'm definitely not one to rush to follow the latest trend, I sometimes look at my schedule and see some events that in my head I've bumped up to obligations, even though I'm not at all required to be there. For example, I'll think of networking opportunities even if it's not an event that's directly related to my field of interest but if I know someone else is loosely connected, I wager the odds are that they'll likely be others in my field there as well, so I'll feel compelled to go.

One friend when trying to get me to go out will throw out the line, "There could be some [hot] ladies there..." And I'll find myself crapping on my initial plans to stay in and be productive to drive across town for heaven knows what.

I'm not anti-social. Even if I don't meet anyone or the event isn't that great, I generally have a decent enough time and am thankful for friends who've asked and the opportunity to go, even if it's non-productive and I end up staying longer than I intended.

I signed up for some two-day conference of like new media/VR/interactive/new tech presentation. What the hell did I do that for?? Big corporation backing it, on a studio lot, one prominent guest speaker but really it's not the direction I want to go in. Those things generally are what you make of them, but I don't have anything specifically to pitch and I don't have a sample that I could send someone as followup should I meet someone looking to fund content. It wouldn't hurt to see what's out there but I feel like FOMO led me to register and not me really believing this is something I need.

Is it FOMO when I grab something at Costco that's discounted but I don't really need?

I sometimes wonder if I don't go to social events out of fear of being left off of future invites. When I do stay in and opt to miss something, I never think twice about what could be going on. Even on crappy times out, I don't second guess my decision to go. I always feel good about that.

Do you have FOMO, even in some weird manifestations?
    Generally, no, at least not for mingling at a conference, or in any other situation where everyone acts phony for a few hours. Actually not much in any situation now. I don't feel as if much applies to my life.

Type
    INTP
    I signed up for some two-day conference of like new media/VR/interactive/new tech presentation. What the hell did I do that for?? Big corporation backing it, on a studio lot, one prominent guest speaker but really it's not the direction I want to go in. Those things generally are what you make of them, but I don't have anything specifically to pitch and I don't have a sample that I could send someone as followup should I meet someone looking to fund content. It wouldn't hurt to see what's out there but I feel like FOMO led me to register and not me really believing this is something I need.
    So I was really starting the dread the impending time waste of this conference but it turns out they are really on the ball for potential networking. They have a list of all the conference attendees. Well, anyone who wants to include his or her info. And you get a brief bio and list of what they're looking for and what they can offer. And they link you up according to number of potential matches. No wandering around, making small talk hoping to strike gold. Send a little note, suggest meeting time, they set up a table and you're set. There are a ton of people offering the same thing and there's no guarantee anyone will respond but I just like that I could see a list of talent, or producers or distributors. I'm sure there'll still be the wandering around, asking where are you from and what do you do but things should be more upfront to where I don't feel the pressure of having to scrape someone from say packaging branded content or measuring site views off the bottom of your shoe because they don't fall within your needs.

I haven't really had to be on my game like this in some time, so I guess that'll be good for me. Most large scale events or film festivals that I been to of late had been while I was working at a studio. It made networking so much easier since everyone would see the company name and want to stop and talk or even buy me a drink. Now I'll feel like the Vaudeville comic standing outside with a tin cup. "Hey kid, come're! I used to be somebody!" *Gaaaaaa!*