Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Ideal Social Media

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Honestly, I think "social media" (whatever that is) has been a retrograde step. We don't need feeds, news stories, celebrities, followers, likes, dislikes, upvotes, downvotes.

I'd like a combination of chatrooms and messaging (IRC), longform conversation spaces (forums and email), friend lists and contacts (ICQ/email) with integrated seamless media hosting and file sharing.

Open script-able API.

Search function. Order things chronologically by default.

No ads. No promotions. Noncommercial. No profit.
    Agree with all of the above.

An ideal platform must actually work against what most popular media platforms are all about - being a popularity contest. So absolutely no metrics on followers or likes/dislikes, etc. As well, just regurgitating other content without commentary - like news feeds should be discouraged.

Forums for the most part fit the bill. They are pretty much the only forms of social media I make use of. I have a facebook account but I only use it to track down a long lost friend on occasion. I never post any tedious drivel about the daily goings on in my life. I'm likely to only look at it once a month or so (if even).

And since this all has to be ad/profit free - the platform must be simple. One can't expect too many bells and whistles considering the owner/operators of the platform should be doing it out of the goodness of their heart and/or an inherent nerdyness of love of running a successful platform. If it needs funding, it should be provided by the members themselves.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Forums for the most part fit the bill.
    And since this all has to be ad/profit free - the platform must be simple. One can't expect too many bells and whistles considering the owner/operators of the platform should be doing it out of the goodness of their heart and/or an inherent nerdyness of love of running a successful platform. If it needs funding, it should be provided by the members themselves.
    This. QFT.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    How about mechanical pink parrots?

Spoiler: never remember how to resize pictures

(This was a proposed memorial for Washington DC. You could upload your voice to a website and then a parrot at a location of your choice would repeat what you said. The technological details were worked out and it's actually feasible.)
    I'm trying to process this and I can't make sense of any of it. Don't get me wrong, I love parrots... but it raises so many questions. Do the parrots fly or are they stationary like at Disneyworld? Do you hear the voice when you arrive at the location, or does whoever is at the location hear the voice?
    Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    I'm trying to process this and I can't make sense of any of it. Don't get me wrong, I love parrots... but it raises so many questions. Do the parrots fly or are they stationary like at Disneyworld? Do you hear the voice when you arrive at the location, or does whoever is at the location hear the voice?
    I'm not actually sure, I think they just fly in circles around specific monuments. And I think you just hear random voices

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    I'm not actually sure, I think they just fly in circles around specific monuments. And I think you just hear random voices
    So, I'm guessing they are battery-powered. I suppose it would be best if they were solar-powered, but then we'd be screwed if they rebelled like the machines in the Matrix.
    Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be.