Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good ads

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No. I detest advertisements on the web (and otherwise). I run an adblocker, and so rarely if ever see ads. Those sites which get ads through anyhow, I either stop using, or find ways to get at their content w/o adds (such as through use of the dev console in the browser, etc).

I don't watch television or cable or anything anymore, I don't listen to the radio or anything radio-like, and so I don't have to suffer ads from those media.
    Indeed. The good ad is the one that doesn't exist.

For the most part my household avoids ads. There's nothing on free to air TV worth watching, the internet provides media, ad and script blockers cover our computers. No car means no radio, and honestly, once you get out of that habit, even once you get back into the car you don't want it on anyway.

The worst part is work. Why corporates and government dont block ad traffic by default is beyond me: the amount of bandwidth wasted must be enormous. Getting into taxis can be pretty bad.

When you've lived ad free, being exposed to the public internet/media is shocking. The best analogy I can make is when you go overseas to a third world country and you experience their propaganda posters, or America with its whole flag worship, health and legal services advertisement regime, and you wonder whether the population realises how ridiculous that looks and how explicit and constantly they're targeted and treated disrespectfully.

If you're not pre conditioned to accept sounds and images being constantly blasted at you for no discernible/contextual reason, it's a pretty jarring experience, and you wonder why any human would put up with that.

Type
    INFP
    It doesn't make sense to me to think that something I disagree with ideologically can't be good just because I dislike its message. I love a lot of propaganda posters. Early 20th century European fascism went hand in hand with some stunning artwork and designs.

For the record, I also dislike the attention currency mode of the internet. But that doesn't mean that ads can't have artistic and technical merits.

Type
    INFP