Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: When you're cheap, when you're not

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    I've been spending the last several weeks taking Google surveys for $0.30 cents at a time in hope of eventually saving up $4 to buy the Pandemic app from the Google Play store. To put this into perspective, the other day I spent $12 on a rock (well, mineral - specifically galena) because it looked cool.
    I used to do surveys when I worked for the hedge fund. I'd save up to buy a night or two in a crappy hotel in Tahoe or something. It took a lot of time and the return on time was awful, but Twitchy and I used to always talk about how much time was wasted just waiting for the market to close in that place. I don't have time for that anymore, I have to pay for my hotel rooms with money now.

I ordered a Nest thermostat yesterday.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I used to do surveys when I worked for the hedge fund. I'd save up to buy a night or two in a crappy hotel in Tahoe or something. It took a lot of time and the return on time was awful, but Twitchy and I used to always talk about how much time was wasted just waiting for the market to close in that place. I don't have time for that anymore, I have to pay for my hotel rooms with money now.

I ordered a Nest thermostat yesterday.
    What'd you use for surveys? I just chrcked out "swagbucks" but the app requires you to give it access to basically everything on your phone, so screw that.

Edit: and there goes $4 on a coffee
    Last edited by NedLudd; 06-26-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    If I had the money not to be cheap on anything, I wouldn't be cheap on anything. Because why the hell would I. But the way it is now I mostly spend money on my cat (that includes his live-in "nurse" fees and the food I buy for her, which is fancy), which absorbs about 2/5 of my salary, and I try to stay in the average to cheap price range for everything else that's strictly mine. I used to buy some things for myself that were kind of pricey but I don't really do that anymore.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    What'd you use for surveys? I just chrcked out "swagbucks" but the app requires you to give it access to basically everything on your phone, so screw that.

Edit: and there goes $4 on a coffee
    I used e-rewards. I'd trade the points for hilton or choice hotel points. When I got enough and/or hotel rooms were cheap enough, I'd use the points for an overnight trip. Sometimes I'd do a points + money reservation if it was available.
    I also check to see if I can get airline points when I'm shopping online. You can do hotel points for that too through hilton, but I've had problems getting the points credited to my account through the hilton shopping website in the past so I don't do it anymore.