Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When you're cheap, when you're not

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I almost ordered one once but I read you're supposed to screw it into the door frame and mine are sheet metal.
    Not that style, it just uses leverage from your body weight.

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I'm pretty sure some of those style ones are supposed to be screwed in. Probably the later generation ones, in response to some accidents.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I'm with BarIII on this, unless it's screwed in it makes me nervous. Somehow I don't trust simple leverage against a half inch piece of wood to keep my 190lbs aloft.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I'm with BarIII on this, unless it's screwed in it makes me nervous. Somehow I don't trust simple leverage against a half inch piece of wood to keep my 190lbs aloft.
    I didn't use the safety screws. The weight is distributed among several contact points so that it isn't your weight pulling down on the the 1/2 inch piece of wood. Your weight levers the bar against the front of the frame, which in turn levers the other side against the wall and frame so that only a fraction of your weight is pulling down. My husband and I have used it for 3 or 4 years now without incident. He weighs about 175.
    @BarIII how do you get a good enough grip around those stacked 2x4s to hoist your body weight?

Edit: worth mentioning that I wouldn't advise attempting kipping or anything like that on a door frame bar, but if I had to choose between kipping on a door frame bar and the thing BarIII made, I'd go with the doorframe bar....you know, if I could still do kipping pull ups. (I aint as young as I used to be)
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 06-12-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    @BarIII how do you get a good enough grip around those stacked 2x4s to hoist your body weight?
    I think I didn't use my thumbs but my fingers were strong enough. I didn't quite get one rep though. Then I tried a chin up on a decent bar in Dick's and I can't do one. I'm an inch or two away, but up to that point it's easy. That last inch or two must require some weird kind of strength that I don't get from normal daily activities. Or a lighter body.

But if I didn't tear my left rotator cuff two years ago I bet I could have done one.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    If you can't clear one, use a counterweight assist or, if that isn't available, do negatives until you gain the strength. The counterweight assist is preferable as negatives can be initially destructive if there is a wide gulf between where you are and being to do a single rep.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    XXXX
    I spend a lot on food. My wife and I love to cook and make meals, so we're always buying groceries to make this or that.

I'm cheap on in-home entertainment, but TV especially. As in, I hate television and refuse to even have a TV in my home - so the cost is zero. On the flipside, I know people who go all out for TV with premier packages of 300+ channels of blah blah.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    if it is electronic, a tool, camping gear, or the like i tend to spend based on quality... on things like clothing (aside from shoes/boots), food, or other such "disposable commodities" i spend much less... i don't like to expend money or effort on things that won't last, and if the nature of what an object is dictates that over the price tag, i'll make a decision based on that... i would rather do without something, than have to buy it twice... i used to buy things like books instead of food (i didn't eat often then), because the books would be there next week... now i care a little bit more about my physical well being, and make "smarter" decisions...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm probably comparatively cheap on entertainment. I play the same games for decades, I infrequently go to the movies, I dislike concerts (because of people) I'm more inclined to stream or download when I can.

I think this whole question is relative though, what is cheap and what amounts of money are we talking.

I'm not so cheap on food, happy to eat out whenever I don't have to do it alone. I buy more than I need at the grocery store. I keep my cars maintained and in good condition, well insured all-round.