Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snack foods unknown in Austria that might make Sappho feel better if she orders them

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    poptarts taste like chapstick
    I pity you for being too young to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Spoiler: Easy!

Does anybody really eat those things raw? It's right there in the title, HOT Pocket. Sure, sure, desperate times and all that but I don't recall uncooked Hot Pockets being a thing. Come to think of it, the ones I had were generally frozen. Which, I suppose would make for quite a dinning dichotomy but not as extraordinaire as the magical transformation as Pop Tarts.

Type
    INTJ
    The expedition has failed. Turns out there are at least four American candy stores in Vienna, and I picked the smallest. Going to order the suggested items subject to availability - anything else I should get?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Blackened Alligator

It does NOT taste like chicken. It's like a cross between bacon and duck. I like it with horseradish sauce.

Unfortunately, as the freshness of the meat is extremely important for the flavor and texture, and I don't see Austria allowing alligator farms anytime soon, you are going to have to just imagine this one unless you visit the southeastern coast of the US. Gators are most common in Louisiana, Florida, and South Carolina, but are most normalized as cuisine in Louisiana. It isn't uncommon to see alligator in the meat department of grocery stores here, but it's not something you'll find anywhere else.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    The expedition has failed. Turns out there are at least four American candy stores in Vienna, and I picked the smallest. Going to order the suggested items subject to availability - anything else I should get?
    Malted milk balls were also a favorite.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post

It was very confusing and upsetting
    Well I agree. Orange is for Zesty Cheese, Red for Nacho. End of story. Who knows what flavor was actually in that imposter bag?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Sistamatic, I'm guessing you never let alligator sit long enough to get cold. It drifts from pork/duck to shrimp/fish in my experience. Very interesting meat.

@Sappho, as far as US candy goes, if you like mint, York peppermint patties are good. As a kid I liked to freeze them. On a hot summer day, a frozen peppermint patty and a cold glass of lemonade were a great way to chill out while it was too hot to play. I'd melt into a couch and think about reading or watching tv. It would get so hot where I grew up that using a remote was something I had to gather energy and motivation for. The heat could leave me too lethargic to watch television.

It was so hot, the dogs didn't even try and take my candy from my weak fingers. They just made a token effort at begging. Just a couple of furry lumps that glanced in my direction, sometimes rolling to their side so that it would look like they'd lifted their head when really it was just being dragged by their latest surrender to gravity.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Malted milk powder to make a malted. I'm not sure how many young Americans even know about those. There's a David Blaine video on YouTube where Woody Allen makes one for him and he's amazed at how good it is.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Who knows what flavor was actually in that imposter bag?
    My thoughts exactly! When I saw it in a grocery store I picked it up and instantly said "What the hell is this?!" I didn't buy it, I was so off put by it.

I'm not sure Doritos would have the same comfort impact if you didn't grow up with them. As far as other recommendations go, I don't have much of a sweet tooth but a favorite of mine is Goobers.

They're basically just chocolate covered peanuts, but there's something about the chocolate to peanut ratio and that exact chocolate that makes them Goobers.

Type
    INTP
    One of my favorites was potato sticks. Potato chips were good too but only the sticks were on my favorite list. I don't know why. Maybe because they're less airy and had a more concentrated...potato flavor?