Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Pride Month" and "homophobe"

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Nobody holds "straight pride" parades because there's no need for such a thing--no one thinks heterosexuality is shameful.
    Plenty of people do, or at least plenty of traditional people think sex is something that should stay private and inside of marriages. It's just that the sexual revolution very quickly destroyed that part of our culture, taking with it the nuclear family. Now "straight pride parades" are held year-round and invade all facets of public life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Well it's not that I just randomly imagine people having sex, but people talk (amongst friends) about the sex that they have, and yeah.. that does provoke imagery.

(Just ran this conversation by my ENFP friend and she agrees.)

I'm not sure if more exposure would have changed my prejudices, ENFP just said that she was exposed to gay people at an early age, but she still feels just like me.
    None of my friends, gay or straight, talk about the sex they are having (except on this forum). Weird. Maybe that's a generational thing?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    None of my friends, gay or straight, talk about the sex they are having (except on this forum). Weird. Maybe that's a generational thing?
    Must be... You apparently cant relate to much of what my generation gets up to
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Must be... You apparently cant relate to much of what my generation gets up to
    Yup, I learn all sorts of fun facts about the youngsters on this forum. It's all part of my master plan to keep those damn kids off my lawn.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Plenty of people do, or at least plenty of traditional people think sex is something that should stay private and inside of marriages. It's just that the sexual revolution very quickly destroyed that part of our culture, taking with it the nuclear family. Now "straight pride parades" are held year-round and invade all facets of public life.
    Mmm,

I don't disagree with you, but I do think these are essentially two different issues.

It's what I think @Sistamatic is getting at--homophobic conservatives specifically are not OK with homosexuality as long as people keep it private. Or at least that's definitely not the "traditional" view on the subject.

Gay people generally used to do exactly that for a very long time--often out of sheer necessity considering what would probably happen to them if they were fully "out" about it publicly--and that didn't work.

That wasn't good enough for the "guardians of right and proper Godly moral conduct". Not even close.

It didn't even guarantee their safety, because when they made a point of trying to make sure straight people never even knew about it, the "traditional moral values" assholes' response to that was to do a bunch of stupid fucking totalitarian secret-police bullshit to go figure out where all the secret gaiety was happening so they could punish people for it.

Just to reiterate the very good point that was already made by someone else here--the problem was not straight people's reaction to gay people's sexual behavior. What the straight people had a problem with was gay people's existence.

I just don't think that could ever be an accurate description of the way that stupid fucking "traditional values" assholes think about heterosexuality.

From their point of view, the desire to have sex with a member of the opposite sex is not in itself a bad thing at all--they believe that the whole reason it exists is God's desire for people to reproduce. (And since it was God who decided that the specific method by which we would reproduce would consist of sticking our hoo-hoo-dillies in each other's cha-chas, we can't exactly say that he even has a problem with us doing that way per se.)

It's not a problem that you want to have sex. You're supposed to want that--as long as no one you ever want to have sex with has the same kind of genitals you do.

It's a problem if you fail to closely follow the guidelines about the time, place, and manner in which you do actually have sex (and honestly, in my own experience growing up in a very deep-fundie, hardcore redneck-conservative kind of community, in practice even that frequently turns out to not be nearly as much of a problem as you think it theoretically would be) but I think this clearly isn't analogous to how they feel about the mere existence of anyone who has a desire to have sex with someone who is the same gender as they are.

They don't hate you and want you to stop existing if you're a straight person who's just a little bit hornier and not quite as good at impulse control as they think would be ideal. That actually tends to get handled rather amicably.

(In fact, it could actually become a problem if people started noticing you never exhibiting any kind of desire to have sex at all. That's how you start getting people paranoid about the hypothetical possibility of you turning out to be gay.)

But it really is very much the truth that this is not how they feel about gay people at all.

They are made very uncomfortable by the mere fact that gay people exist, and what they really wish for is that there would be some way to actually make gay people not exist.

And that's actually the charitable interpretation.

The uncharitable interpretation is that they actually would be less happy if gay people did not exist, because that would deprive them of a conveniently available set of targets upon which to focus their tendency to derive enjoyment--or feelings of superiority that vicariously offset personal insecurities, or whatever--from the very act of hating and tormenting some other group of people who are implicitly or subconsciously classified as basically existing for the purpose of being hated and tormented for that reason.

Honestly, in light of my own observations of the psychological proclivities of the fairly large number of serious hardcore fundamentalist rednecks I have ended up knowing rather well over the course of my life, I believe either of these interpretations could easily be the truth.

Fundamentalist rednecks are a seriously horrible and frightening sort of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Tonight I'm going with a friend to the pride thing. Check out some hairy asses.