Thread: Deli

Type
    ISFP

Deli

What is it like to work at a deli?

Type
    INTx
    The main character in The Wrestler didn't like it much. He went to extremes to leave the job. One of the most disturbing movie scenes I've seen.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

A.K.A. DolceGuevara PureViolence's Avatar
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    What is it like to work at a deli?
    what's that?

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    Depends on the Deli, but I've got a couple of friends who are always in and out of food service jobs, they've worked everywhere from fast food chains, Delis to pubs and restaurants.

One quite liked the Deli, the other really despised working in Pubs, she said it was okay but still not great at the restaurants, and one has eventually settled in comfortably at... McDonald's

Working in the food industry as a Chef is (statistically) the most stressful job and Chefs are more likely to turn to drug or alcohol abuse for a bit of escape. (95% of the Chefs I know have drug or alcohol issues)

I don't cook at home, so I wouldn't even dream of working in the food industry, although when I was floating around aimlessly in end of '15 beginning of '16 I briefly worked at Burger King, where one of my good friends was working as a supervisor along side her Uni. That was okay but only because I working with a friend, packed that up after 8 weeks.

I briefly worked in Pizza Hut on the phones because the job was directly below the room I was renting at my friends, and I sometimes prepped Pizzas. That place was hectic and completely mismanaged, so I packed that up after about 10 weeks.

I worked in KFC for about two weeks because that was round the corner from another friend (one of the ones above) I was renting a room off, and my friends went for interviews too.

Got offered the job I have now, so I just never went back to KFC - still feel bad about it because the manager was nice and I totally blew her off.

Anyway, apart from that year of just floating around, I would never dream of going into food service. I want to be served food, not the other way around.

Low pay + high stress = No thanks.

I'd rather be working behind a bar serving the alcohol, watching the chefs have a nervous breakdown inside the kitchen

If you can find the right pub with the right punters, you can increase your hourly wage dramatically with the tips.

A 7-8 pound an hour wage could easily become 10-14 .

Unfortunately, I'm saying this in hindsight, because younger me drank all of her wages!

You've got the right look and personality for working behind a bar. There's banter to be dished out.
    Last edited by Sinny; 06-11-2018 at 05:38 AM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)