Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: INTPx Commune: What's your role?

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Okay, let's just get over the fact that all life (and all of reality) is superfluous. Big whoop.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    could i work at the publishing house? we'll need editors, @Blorg ?)
    yeah sure!

I don't think democracy would work because of INTP fluffiness. We'd need a dictatorship setup. An INTJ. Or better yet, a robot. The tech people could design a dictator robot for us.

I was thinking about religion, as a unifying tool, and I don't think it would fly. People here are too skeptical. Cooperation and ongoing unity would never come naturally. We'd need chains. And some degree of "freedom" within limits, or a type of outlet for frustration. So lots of educational programs, skill development programs. I think every member should have a primary job and also work as a part-time teacher of their selected hobby, and everyone should also be students. So for example, I could be a ranger, and the hobby I'd teach could be chess, and I'd be a student in maybe poetry and drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm curious what a town where everyone lives on the outskirts looks like.
    a modern bureaucratic regime, in which everyone is constantly pulled towards an unachievable norm.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Why not assume he thought he was a 10-percenter?
    cuz it's funnier.

i'm a little surprised this thread's already gotten 30+ replies without anybody suggesting we collect all the INTPs then go the way of jonestown.

i was wondering if Roger Mexico was gonna go there...

I agree with him on the assumption that at least 90% of the population is composed of superfluous people. Most of the people who don't seem superfluous are only not superfluous in the sense that they attend to the needs of the superfluous.
    this does remind me, if we're talking about the global population considering current consumption trends (and we can only blame the US and global capitalism here IMO)

Global Footprint Network data shows that humanity uses the equivalent of 1.7 planet Earths to provide the renewable resources we use and absorb our waste.1 If all 7+ billion of us were to enjoy a European standard of living - which is about 60% the consumption of the average American - the Earth could sustainably support only about 2 billion people.
    source (just quickly googled that to get that number— i remember hearing 2 billion somewhere)
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    In my imaginary commune, Kali & PV end up hooking up and falling in love

They bond over art and sex n shit.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTJ
    Not an INTP, but I'll happily do the long-term and contingency planning. That and organising paperwork, events and rotas.

notdavidlynch already called dibs on being a slave-driver, but may I suggest that instead of kidnapping SJ's, we simply track down and enslave spam posters. Nobody will miss them, anyway.

Type
    INTP
    I'll be in charge of construction. Will train apprentices to do basic mindless stuff so that they can contemplate whatever they like while monotonously nailing together wall framing. Exercise your body and your brain at the same time! win win.

I make no guarantee that I will not go full crazy and switch everything to cob construction...never know what sort of influence a commune will have on a guy...but we should be able to at least build a few useful structures before that happens.

as for @Hephaestus' observation that everyone would want to live in the outskirts...
    Firstly, I think we should live on an island...one with fish bearing streams/rivers.
    Secondly, our commune should be placed to one side of the island, so that we can make use of the untouched portion on an as needed basis.
    Thirdly, for the living on the outskirts part, I think we could come up with a sort of concentric layout where the living spaces of our 'town' were all in the outer rings, and the inner section would consist of places like libraries and stores and whatnot, with a sort of web-pattern for roads and such, so that paths to any resource, from any living space could basically be a straight line.
    With our town set to one side of the island, a good portion of the living spaces could be beach front properties. The inner rings of the living sectors would be for people who like more of a metro experience, and the side opposite to the beach front properties would naturally border on the untouched nature filling the other side of the island...so lots of good spaces to live, for every sort of preference.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    intp
    I should note that if there's more than 8 men more useful than I am, I'm going to need to start murdering people to make sure I stay in the running.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    ooo i'm liking these ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I'll be in charge of construction. Will train apprentices to do basic mindless stuff so that they can contemplate whatever they like while monotonously nailing together wall framing. Exercise your body and your brain at the same time! win win.

I make no guarantee that I will not go full crazy and switch everything to cob construction...never know what sort of influence a commune will have on a guy...but we should be able to at least build a few useful structures before that happens.
    i'll be your apprentice.

i just looked up cob building. is it not useful? it seems super durable, and i like the look of these houses.

as for @Hephaestus' observation that everyone would want to live in the outskirts...
    Firstly, I think we should live on an island...one with fish bearing streams/rivers.
    Secondly, our commune should be placed to one side of the island, so that we can make use of the untouched portion on an as needed basis.
    Thirdly, for the living on the outskirts part, I think we could come up with a sort of concentric layout where the living spaces of our 'town' were all in the outer rings, and the inner section would consist of places like libraries and stores and whatnot, with a sort of web-pattern for roads and such, so that paths to any resource, from any living space could basically be a straight line.
    when i read this i was imagining something like a permaculture keyhole garden, where the main entrance leads to the central main resources, and the houses are situated around it.

^but in larger scale obviously

there can be several of these little "towns" all connected to each other by a road running through, where people choose which resources to live near, depending on their interest. or we can build one of these on the scale of a small city and have everything in the center, which can be super convenient but possibly more vulnerable. (imo the disadvantage of relying too much on centralized resources really has to be considered.)

the inner rings being more urban and outer rings being closer to the wilderness could work.

i'm really tempted to draw out what i'm thinking, but i'm procrastinating on other stuff right now! hopefully i can soon.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    xNxx
    In the situation that you guys actually get your shit together enough to have either weed or alcohol, I'd be a happy subsistence farmer/laborer, exactly like the rest of you. I'd probably whittle some kind of banjo out of an old CRT tv set and catgut.

If you CAN'T get the head situation together, you'd have yourselves one hell of an ENTP on your hands, and I give the whole commune about 3 months before the koolaid gets handed out.

Type
    INTP
    @jigglypuff cob is actually an amazing building method...but I'm a carpenter. I actually really want to try building something out of cob...but my knowledge base isn't extensive enough to be building dwellings for people, yet. My main concern would be with how frost/freeze-thaw cycles would affect it, and if it would be wiser to build something on a concrete foundation. Depends where we build, really. If it's a forest, procuring lumber might be easier than procuring sufficient amounts of clay.
    I would probably just start with a cob oven, and build my way up from there.

The keyhole garden design is definitely similar to what I had in mind. I actually like the idea of designs having elements echoing throughout...so we could have personal keyhole gardens at dwellings, which are laid out in a similar pattern to the keyhole gardens, and the neighborhoods could be placed within the city in yet another larger scale version of the same shape....
    ...but then, I'd want to adapt things to account for natural variations in the existing landscape, to ensure adequate drainage and irrigation, and absorbtion in the landscape.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung