View Poll Results: So?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave Fatass behind. Your cat will get over it.

1 5.56%
  • Next time you see your bf, ask him how he honestly feels about the idea of 2 cats

6 33.33%
  • Don't tell your bf anything, just show up with Fatass and your cat

7 38.89%
  • Make a thread about this on the internet so he will read it - that's communication!

4 22.22%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My cat's fatass girlfriend

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    @Madrigal
    i have the results from the vet right now

BUN: 43 mg/dL
    creatinine: 1.2 mg/dL
    BUN / creatinine ratio: 36

^ it came color coded like that, and after the red it says "HIGH"

for reference it says normal adult ratio for BUN is 14-36, creatinine 0.6-2.4, BUN / creatinine ratio 4-33

oh yeah, the note from the vet says to check back in 3 months to see if the levels are increasing, and they recommended the same kidney care food that you're giving your cat (either that or Royal Canin renal).
    Ahhh that doesn't seem like a lot, although we don't call it BUN, just Uremia (I wonder if this is the exact same thing or not). Over here they say that creatinine needs to be lower than 1.6 and uremia between 15 and 50. Maybe they just meant to say your cat is on the high scale of normal?

My cat's creatinine reached 7.8 and his uremia reached 320. Now it's down to 2.6 and 99 last time I checked (they had said it wasn't going to improve, luckily they were wrong).

If you have to check back in 3 months, then it can't be so bad!

Btw all the vets say that Hills isn't even in the same league as Royal Canin, that Hills is much better. (Not because they're trying to sell it; they don't sell it in Argentina, actually, I'm getting it in Chile :/).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Ahhh that doesn't seem like a lot, although we don't call it BUN, just Uremia (I wonder if this is the exact same thing or not). Over here they say that creatinine needs to be lower than 1.6 and uremia between 15 and 50. Maybe they just meant to say your cat is on the high scale of normal?
    i'm not sure what it means honestly (lol?)

My cat's creatinine reached 7.8 and his uremia reached 320. Now it's down to 2.6 and 99 last time I checked (they had said it wasn't going to improve, luckily they were wrong).

If you have to check back in 3 months, then it can't be so bad!
    i really hope he continues to improve!!

and yeah, maybe it's not so bad. they did say it was "early." it wouldn't hurt to just stay on our toes though. i wouldn't want her to get worse.

Btw all the vets say that Hills isn't even in the same league as Royal Canin, that Hills is much better. (Not because they're trying to sell it; they don't sell it in Argentina, actually, I'm getting it in Chile :/).
    thanks i guess i'm gonna try to start her on the Hills food. hopefully the transition isn't so bad.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    i sort of lost interest when this diverted into a retelling of feline health histories, so perhaps this has been said: why not just talk to this guy about it? i agree with the sentiment that splitting a "bonded pair" prior to (or during) a move is a bad idea... sounds to me like the interloper has earned a spot by taking such good care of your ill companion... explain the context to your man, and see how he reacts... if he has no sympathy for fat ass, why would you want to be with someone like that? i would let the cat situation make or break the move, rather than let the move dictate if you keep the cat...

*shrugs*
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    if he has no sympathy for fat ass, why would you want to be with someone like that?
    I have no sympathy for Fatass. Maybe just a little. But she hasn't yet graduated from "dumb animal" to "little person" in my view. I resent that she came into the picture and I'm mainly concerned about my cat's health. I feel like I owe Fatass something but that's not necessarily to carry her around with me.

Pets are a one-time bond for me. After my first dog, I didn't pay attention to any more family dogs. As an exception, I accepted my current cat (not that it was my idea, like I said), but it's exhausting to think of accepting yet another one. I dunno how @Sistamatic does it. I try to pet Fatass and be nice to her but I find it hard to accept her. And I only pet her when my cat isn't looking, or when I'm petting both of them at the same time (he gets jealous). She's basically my cat's cat, not mine.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have no sympathy for Fatass. Maybe just a little. But she hasn't yet graduated from "dumb animal" to "little person" in my view. I resent that she came into the picture and I'm mainly concerned about my cat's health. I feel like I owe Fatass something but that's not necessarily to carry her around with me.

Pets are a one-time bond for me. After my first dog, I didn't pay attention to any more family dogs. As an exception, I accepted my current cat (not that it was my idea, like I said), but it's exhausting to think of accepting yet another one. I dunno how @Sistamatic does it. I try to pet Fatass and be nice to her but I find it hard to accept her. And I only pet her when my cat isn't looking, or when I'm petting both of them at the same time (he gets jealous). She's basically my cat's cat, not mine.
    Cat personalities vary so wildly. It almost feels odd saying I have 3 cats because that implies that they are 3 similar creatures. There are very few things evoke the same response out of any two of them. Example: Thufy loves to be chased and messed with and held upside down. He loves raspberries on his belly. If I chased Conan, he'd hide under the bed for a week. If I chased Spock, he'd yawn and say, "What, I'm supposed to run? Lady, I don't even run from the vacuum cleaner." When I chase Thufy, he runs off, hides in wait, and then chases me in the other direction, and has the best time ever. Sometimes he picks on me to try to get me to play the game. Like he'll run full tilt at my office chair, launch at it, bounce off it like a kung-fu special effect, then take off running again only to stop, poised to run if I give chase.

Spock would live perched on my shoulder if I let him. He likes to snuggle his face into my neck and hair and purr til the drool runs down my back. We joke that we should have named him Paris cuz he's the Kitty of Love. The other two don't mind being held on my shoulder for a minute or two here and there, but they get bored with it pretty quick.

Conan is feral and wild and trust doesn't come easy. He follows me around when I'm alone, but if someone new comes over, you'll never know he exists.

Thufir is jealous of Conan, but not of Spock.

Spock snuggles with Thufir and Conan, but Thufir and Conan almost never snuggle with each other.

Sometimes I have three cats in my orbit like electrons, and sometimes they are off doing their own thing.

Spock and Thufir are easy to bond with.

But bonding with Conan has been slow and arduous. I did initially wonder if I'd made a huge mistake adopting such a hard case. My husband really wanted us to get one cat that was probably never going to get a good home without us and I thought that was crazy... Conan is definitely that cat. We had to use an infrared camera to locate him when we first got him. He was just this abused wild animal hiding somewhere in our house, eating food and using litterboxes when we weren't looking. We tried coaxing him with treats, but no dice. Meanwhile Spock snuggled him and cleaned him and kept him from getting lonely. When he first started approaching us, it was in our sleep. He would lay down next to us and snuggle in and purr, but run and hide under the bed if he thought we had woken up. Now he begs for my attention and walks around tail held high, secure in knowing he is wanted and will not ever be abused if I have anything to do with it. It's only been just over a year, and his progress is starting to snowball. I'd get none of that if I hadn't earned it.

You gotta earn a relationship with a cat and that is never going to happen for Fatass if you don't want it. If you have a home lined up where Fatass will get a chance to be everything she can be, maybe that would be best for her. It makes me sad that she might live out her entire life without ever being given the benefit of the doubt. It's more subtle in cats than in dogs, but the people in a cat's life have a huge effect on what a cat becomes. Strays, even neutered or spayed ones, are almost a whole different species because they don't have a human sculptor bringing out the nuances of their personalities and because, like anyone, if it is hardscrabble to survive, you don't have time to develop non-essential aspects of personality. If you are the primary person for Fatass, then you are at least partly responsible for what kind of cat she is. If you aren't committed to trying to make her a happy little creature, you'll never know what kind of little four footed person she could be. I am convinced that cats are more interested in whether their human is worth their time than vise versa.

Cats' cerebral cortexes are strikingly similar to humans' and there is conjecture that that is why they aren't simple pets, and why they don't generally do as they are told.
    Surface folding and brain structure matter more than brain size. Unlike the brains of dogs, the brains of cats have an amazing surface folding and a structure that is about 90 percent similar to ours. The cerebral cortex of cats is greater and more complex compared to that of dogs. The cerebral cortex is the part of the brain responsible for cognitive information processing. A cat's cerebral cortex contains about twice as many neurons as that of dogs. Cats have 300 million neurons, whereas dogs have about 160 million. In fact, cats have more nerve cells in the visual areas of their brain, a part of cerebral cortex, than humans and most other mammals.

Edit: Aside -- Another joke we have regarding Spock. "In Soviet Russia, cat Elmiras you."
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 06-14-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Thufir is jealous of Conan, but not of Spock.
    Fatass sometimes gets jealous when I pet Lev, but not jealous of Lev; just jealous of me. She gets desperate to cuddle him herself.

Lev gets jealous of Fatass. He often tries to attack her if I pick her up. Lev is sort of a little shit.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Fatass sometimes gets jealous when I pet Lev, but not jealous of Lev; just jealous of me. She gets desperate to cuddle him herself.

Lev gets jealous of Fatass. He often tries to attack her if I pick her up. Lev is sort of a little shit.
    Maybe lev knows you are a one cat woman and is afraid of being usurped.

Thufir's jealousy is more of a showboating thing. Like yesterday we were both petting Conan on the top tier of the cat tower when Thufir tore across the room and launched into the air, landed on the underside of the platform Conan was on, clinging there like spiderman, eyes wide, then he made his meow that sounds more like a quack, as if to say, TA DA! We almost died laughing.

His nickname is FOMO cat. He has to be the center of everything that is happening. I don't think it is his intention, but he can be a jerk to Conan. It doesn't work on Spock because Spock is so imperturbable. Spock has mastered a yawn and a look that says, "Your antics have no effect on me, youngling." When Thufir was a kitten he would sometimes attack Spock over and over while Spock just lay their ignoring him. If it got too annoying, Spock would calmly enter the cat carrier and pull the door to with his paw and go back to whatever he was doing. Thufir outweighs him by 2 pounds now and Spock doesn't even have teeth, but there is no danger that Spock will lose alpha status. Everyone loves Spock. The other cats crave his attention as much as mine.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post

You realise this is a living being we're talking about?

There's no shame in rehoming a cat if you can't take care of it anymore, be it due to familial, health or financial reasons. But euthanising one just because it's inconvenient? Fie.
    In the scenario I'm envisioning, Fatass lives on past her partner as a cared for pet in her own right until she faces a major, expensive health crisis. At that point, it's curtains. She will have had a happy, respected life, just not an artificially prolonged one.

I understand that other people get more attached to their pets than I do.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I just want Madrigal and this dude to have a long and happy life together and am wary of setting a precedent that one cat requires another cat's companionship because then you're forever on a cycle of getting one cat to keep company with whichever one was most recently bereaved, whether this guy likes cats or not. If Maddy's going to leave behind Argentina, I see no good reason to drag along this feline monument to her sister's irresponsibility when there's another home available. Start as freshly as possible when merging your life with another. Lev's grandfathered in. Lev will be fine. Let any additional furballs, or lack thereof, be joint acquisitions! Of course, he's going to agree to how ever many cats she wants because she's Madrigal and all but that doesn't mean he won't resent it! Not that it's any of my beeswax. This is why only vote in polls without commenting It's all fun and games until you have twice the paws walking across your goddamn keyboard!
    Yeah good points (I hadn't really given it much thought beyond cat = cute = good )

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    What if fatass is trying to eat Lev? And what if he resents her eating his food while he was struggling to have an appetite?

I had an anorexic dog once who had trouble putting on weight because he liked to eat one kibble at a time by tossing it around the room and racing after it to catch it on the bounce. He'd throw it again if he messed up. He'd get maybe a fourth of his meal down before another dog would finish their meal, at which point even his best buddy in our pack would move over and eat the rest of his food. If he got too hungry he didn't play that day and just hunkered down and plowed through like a normal critter, but he clearly didn't like it.

Neither did the other dogs. They always looked miffed that no one had gotten seconds.

Could you leave fatass behind on a contingency basis? Maybe Lev would be delighted at the easy break up.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)