Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Gervais. Genius or overrated?

Type
    INTP

Ricky Gervais. Genius or overrated?

The Office was good. Extras was great. Perfect sitcom. Everything after that has been shit! Derek in particular has no soul.
    Opinions?

Pan_Sonic_000
    Never watched The Office, but I don't like Ricky Gervais from the small sampling I've had. I wish he'd shut the fuck up about religious people - he's starting to become a one man amalgamation of /r/atheism.

He also never makes me laugh.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The UK version of the office was almost close to perfection in its cringeworthyness/close-to-home-ness. Plus no laugh track! yay! Haven't seen the rest, well except for 1 clip from extras:

I appreciate his humour, but the funny thing is its never really made me want to go out and watch him.

Oh! That being said, "an idiot abroad". Again, i don't mind the premise, but Gervais does come across as really obnoxious and annoying in it (if you ask me).

Type
    INTP
    Ricky Gervais is a cock. Periodically British show business throws up individuals of minor talent, often spiteful and a tad nasty, and proclaims them as the best thing well since the last individual of minor talent. Russell "utter cock" Brand is another example. I was glad when both of them went stateside, though I am not sure what you guys did to deserve either of them.

Your fascination with the BBC is bizarre.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Is that the guy from The Invention of Lying? That movie was a pretentious, unfunny piece of shit.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Russell "utter cock" Brand
    Threadjack: What the fuck is up with that guy?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    There are only two options? Overrated or genius? How about largely mediocre with moments of greatness.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    I generally don't think he's funny, and his twitter is obnoxious (god god god god god god fuck religion god god...), but he was a hilarious Oscars (edit: golden globes?) host.

Quote Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
    Ricky Gervais is a cock. Periodically British show business throws up individuals of minor talent, often spiteful and a tad nasty, and proclaims them as the best thing well since the last individual of minor talent. Russell "utter cock" Brand is another example. I was glad when both of them went stateside, though I am not sure what you guys did to deserve either of them.

Your fascination with the BBC is bizarre.
    Stephen Fry is one exception.
    A lot of non-British comedians are boringly mean too- I think it's just a universal trend. it's as if comedians think that snark is a shortcut to laughs. Gets grating after a while.
    I agree about Russell Brand. He's occasionally brilliant so that almost makes up for his cringe-inducing standard.

Type
    INTP
    Yes Stephen Fry is an exceptions as is Hugh Laurie (even though his American accent sucked in House and even though some Americans liked his sucky American accent. You know who you are..........)

But golly gosh how some of you colonials think the BBC is a font of facts and unbiased news delivery is mystifying.

Type
    xxxx
    I absolutely adore him haha. I've listened to nearly every Ricky Gervais / Stephen Merchant / Karl Pilkington podcast.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof