Thread: Can someone recommend a good ebook management software?

Type
    INTP

Can someone recommend a good ebook management software?

I know, I know - Calibre. But it's either idk how to make it work, or it doesn't do what i want it to do.

what i want is simple. i want to organize my entire collection into a neat file. remove duplicates, remove duplicates in other file formats, fix the meta tags, add book covers, and organize the entire inventory by author folders and inside author folders, by book series that are arranged in order.

calibre somehow creates duplicate copies of the files (thereby not doing what i want it to do which is to create more file space in my hard drive) and then arranges them in author folders except for instances when the file name starts with the book title instead of the author name, in which case, it conflates the book title as the author. i don't want to spend my entire lifetime renaming the files just so it starts with the author name instead of the book title. and duplicates aren't removed. it just multiplies the files to even more duplicates! it's enraging!

shouldn't organizing be simple once the ISBN is known? doesn't the ebook files carry the ISBN as an identifier? that shit should be a one-click process.
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.

Potpourri

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    How about proper file naming in Windows Explorer?

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    try zotero

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    You just have to configure calibre to make it do as you want. The default action is to replicate your library and work from that so as not to delete books. I find that 20gig is nothing to dedicate to books. Refurb 128gb SSD drives are now just $35

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    This is my method of first resort. Haven't had reason to find a second resort yet.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    what do you mean? i don't create the file names. they're already named. i just download the torrents. i'd be stuck renaming files forever as i now have more than a thousand books on file.
    Quote Originally Posted by PureViolence View Post
    try zotero
    it's for journals and research articles, not ebooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    You just have to configure calibre to make it do as you want. The default action is to replicate your library and work from that so as not to delete books. I find that 20gig is nothing to dedicate to books. Refurb 128gb SSD drives are now just $35
    yeah this is my exact problem. i can't figure out how to configure calibre.
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.

Potpourri

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    yeah this is my exact problem. i can't figure out how to configure calibre.
    I was doing the same thing after being horrified at replicating some 50 gig of books, but then I thought fuck it, I dedicate something like 200gig to music, why should books not get a duplicated management area and still come in at half the audio.
    I use both the drive space and back it up to a mirrored NAS.

I went looking for the setting, I found it and then decided not to work with the actual raw books, but with the library in the calibre folder. You should do so too, drive space is nothing these days. Why, back in my day...