Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutral statements that you take as compliments

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

Neutral statements that you take as compliments

are there any neutral statements made about you about you can't help but feel flattered and/or validated by?

basically :| but secretly you're like : )

(there's not much happening here atm so here's a thread)
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    I can't think of anything, but this thread reminds me of times I've communicated something harsh by using a neutral statement.

Like if I'm working and we're brainstorming and someone comes up with a stupid idea I'll sometimes stare at them blankly and say "Well, I'm glad you're thinking."

Usually I end up having a laugh with whoever I say that to... unless they are genuinely not bright and don't actually understand what I meant (so painful).

Type
    INTP
    A bunch of guys (and one girl) used to hear little snippets about me and one day the girl met me and they guys asked what I look like and she said regular. I'm fine with that. I only wish I knew for sure that she wasn't trying to avoid saying anything negative.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    once somebody described me as having "unique challenges" and i could tell they meant that as a neutral statement (they weren't insulting my intelligence, but it's true that i have some attention issues and get carried away with tangents). it was strange but i felt like somebody was, for once, really noticing me, and simply accepting that that is something i deal with.

that's the only thing that comes to mind.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    The second part to my story is that she had only seen me for a couple of minutes at a time, about two or three times, but she recognized me over a year later in a store we happened to both be in. I don't like that I'm that easily recognizable.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    I was once in a high end store (I read that Europeans don't know the word upscale so I won't use that word. It was coined in the 1970s. Got forbid they add a new word to the OED. Like it will be too big then.) and a woman asked me if some foam rubber sheet thing would make a good bulletin board. She could have asked someone else. I was glad I looked askable.

Type
    INTP
    No, not really.

Sometimes people try compliment me, but end up insulting me.

Example, Rev: "Nice boobs, doesn't matter what size they are"

Keep your compliments to yourself in future.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Yesterday I was teaching piano to a brawny, middle-aged mechanic, who was playing everything very loudly. I told him he'd have to play more softly, and when he asked why, I told him in a low, stentorian voice "WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF I TALKED LIKE THIS THE ENTIRE LESSON?"

He made a genuinely fearful face and said "I'd get scared, I'd probably run away!"

Definitely not a compliment, but it felt like one.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    A bunch of guys (and one girl) used to hear little snippets about me and one day the girl met me and they guys asked what I look like and she said regular. I'm fine with that. I only wish I knew for sure that she wasn't trying to avoid saying anything negative.
    XD Hahaha, probably she was!, send me a pic and i'll give you my detached verdict

i cannot think of anything neutral said by anyone who made me feel cool about myself...? is this a bad thing?
    or is it just that i'm not a fucking BETA?!
    hahaha

Type
    INTx
    "You don't smell."
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker