Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Child safety

Type
    inFp
    There was a famous guy, who really knew much about child safety, as the following videos confirm:

Communism s*cks.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    They're still very dangerous for small children no matter what though. The kid in the article I linked was injured even when being monitored by a trained professional.
    Stairs are probably worse than trampolines. Gotta keep it all in perspective.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Stairs are probably worse than trampolines. Gotta keep it all in perspective.
    Right, perspective is important. It isn't necessary to adult life to learn how to use a trampoline.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Liability is an unfortunate excuse to inhibit the speedy development of kids who advance more quickly. It also keeps other kids from seeing advanced behaviour, which helps them learn.
    ...and rules + toddlers is just funny. Might as well make a rule that all kids should obey the rules. It will be adhered to the same as other rules...which is like...50% of the time.
    I'm not arguing that having those restrictive rules are necessarily the best thing, but I understand why administrators think it will make their jobs easier, from a legal, staff training, and parent coddling perspective.

Type
    INTP
    I think it's good for kids to get hurt in ways that they can survive and heal from. It was good for me. Being sheltered from that keeps people afraid of the world, and conditions them to let fear stop them from doing things. Kids should have plenty of opportunities to get scraped and bruised and maybe even break a bone or two, so they can get comfortable with the limitations of living in a body.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    maybe even break a bone or two
    this
    and it wouldn't be bad if parents beat them up once in a while, if needed

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Break the right things and you may live your last decades in constant pain. Or even your entire life. Or you could die. Kids don't need that.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Break the right things and you may live your last decades in constant pain. Or even your entire life. Or you could die. Kids don't need that.
    I agree, there's a balance to be had. Age appropriate risks should be allowed. I have lots of fond memories climbing trees, exploring new places, playing with small sharp objects, ect. but I wasn't allowed to do that at age 2.

In the article I linked that toddler broke his femur, and breaking that bone at that age there's a good possibility he may never walk correctly.

It's important for kids to be allowed to take risks, but it's also important for parents to have an awareness what risks are age appropriate.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    I used to climb a tree at my friend's house when I was 11 with no adults watching. I wouldn't want my kids doing that. I don't see how it helped me. There's a modern jungle gym (I think that's what it's called... it has pull up handles and a slide and stuff) in the park near me that meets current safety standards, and swings, and that's enough. Only birds and squirrels need the trees. Public safety issues like this are a big reason I'm a democrat.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I used to climb a tree at my friend's house when I was 11 with no adults watching. I wouldn't want my kids doing that. I don't see how it helped me. There's a modern jungle gym in the park near me that meets current safety standards, and swings, and that's enough. Only birds and squirrels need the trees. Public safety issues like this are a big reason I'm a democrat.
    Life finds a way.
    I broke my head two times when I was like 5 or so, once hit metal pilar and second got hit by a swing in a park. Left me two scars in my forehead, actually lots of blood and when I touch I feel a super subtle depression in the bone in one of them. Now it is debatable if they affected my IQ positively or negatively. But you know, I think I'm still as risk taker as I was back then.