Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opting out via suicide. The logistics: how, when, where, why and so so forth...

Type
    XXXX

Opting out via suicide. The logistics: how, when, where, why and so so forth...

Ever since I was a teenager, I've always had an intuitive sense that my life would come to an end via suicide. Either that, or being murdered by reckless thugs. I don't think I'll die an old man -- warm and cozy in his bed surrounded by somber relatives and children / grandchildren saying their teary last goodbyes. I do not have kids, nor do I want any. I'm pretty much estranged from my family aside from one immediate sibling. And even that is a detached "relationship" at best. I have my spouse and that's it.

For sure, my death will be sudden and immediate. People will be surprised when it happens.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear from others who have the same plan. You do not have to rationalize or justify yourself (although that is okay if you wish). How will you terminate your life? When will you do it? Why will you do it?

I want to be very clear that this is not a thread for therapy or a cry for help. I am only interested in logistics; the methods and intent behind the action. Will you use an inert gas? A double barrel shotgun? Wrist slashing or hanging yourself in the Aokigahara forest? What is your plan and why? Tell me / us in detail.

As for myself:

When I am in my mid 50's - 60's, I plan to build a shallow grave in either the wilderness of the pacific northwest OR the wilderness of Utah. I will:

1) Write a note and say my goodbyes
    2) State my intentions
    3) Alleviate any "blame" or fault so others do not wonder what they could have done

I will build a relatively shallow six foot grave (dug myself), reinforced with wooden "walls" of plywood. I already have the location picked out, the tools needed to do it. I will crawl in, lay on my back, say a prayer to the fates and then put a double barrel shotgun in my mouth (I can easily obtain this since I live in the American midwest) and squeeze the trigger. Death will be immediate. I intend to splatter my skull and brains across my own grave in an instant. I do not expect to feel pain.

I don't want people to worry or wonder where I want. It seems courteous to let them know so they can process it and come to terms with my actions. I've told my wife about this and while she is disturbed, she understands I am serious about it and, I think, is preparing herself for the inevitable many years from now.

What about you? How will you kill yourself? Why / when / where / blah blah blah.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    why? some sort of control issue?
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    why? some sort of control issue?
    Nope. I'm not unhappy with my life or myself, it just seems like a graceful exit. Do you plan to kill yourself?

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Pentobarbital, you drama queen

Edit: In case people don't get the tone, I'm assuming there's a good chance I will end my life via some kind of fatal dose of the above (or whatever they're using at the time). I'm assuming there's a good chance many of us will. The baby boomers will hopefully be the last generation to pass without euthanasia being legally available for a significant portion of us, if not directly because our generation's experience of them dying will be one of the main causes to ensure that...

I think people who haven't considered this question likely either have a religious influence, or haven't had much experience with people dying: which is totally understandable, given that most of us live in societies where the old and infirm, and decisions regarding their mortality, are deliberately excluded and kept from our everyday experience.

Edit II: And also for context, Pan_Sonic is not a new member :P (or at least I'm assuming he's not).
    Last edited by ACow; 06-22-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I didn't think I'd make it past 24, but here I am. I only ever stopped myself from committing suicide by imagining how it'd impact my parents. I suppose as long as there's someone that'd be devastated by it, I wouldn't do it. But if I wind up alone and in poor health at post-middle age, it's likely. I'd probably just shoot myself.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I would never end my life because I don't have it in me to want that. Some people are more open/inclined to it, but I don't know why. Some say it runs in families.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I would never end my life because I don't have it in me to want that. Some people are more open/inclined to it, but I don't know why. Some say it runs in families.
    You've never felt a desire to annihilate yourself?

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Why wait?
    It's all about the hype.
    Don't believe it!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic View Post

What about you? How will you kill yourself? Why / when / where / blah blah blah.
    I fully expect that, apart from accident, suicide will be the way out for me.

Why/When? Upon the first sign of major, irreversible lifestyle altering, debilitating injury or senescent infirmity-- I'm checking out. My life is not worth living apart from how I've been living it, free from such. As soon as my body breaks down or is broken down, that's it for me. Game over.

Where / How? I'm still researching the most painless, immediate means of doing so as on option. Depending on the circumstances, if there's someone or something I want to take out with me (including: as much of society-at-large as I can manage to take down), then I have other "mutually destructive" sorts of plans. From going on a suicidal killing spree involving cars, guns, whatever -- aiming for maximum collateral damage in terms of human life and property. Whatever the case, when I choose to go that's that. I'm not notifying anyone or doing any such social preparation. Why bother? My life is about to end. Fuck it.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic View Post
    You've never felt a desire to annihilate yourself?
    Not even once.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao