Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Opting out via suicide. The logistics: how, when, where, why and so so forth...

Type
    INTP
    Thoughts of suicide imply low serotonin. Look into NutrEval + a hormone panel (+ maybe genetic testing). Many are low in vitamin D (increases serotonin and often lowers depression) and magnesium. Add a multivitamin, D + K, and chelated magnesium supplement. For anything more serious/urgent, consider one of those hotlines or chatrooms.

I would rather not kill myself. I wouldn't be able to get myself to do it and would rather keep it that way.

Whenever considering suicide, always check to ensure it's not just a nutrient deficiency talking by fixing any that exist (or if more urgent, increase serotonin and dopamine).

One of those gas containers + mask (that replaces oxygen in the lungs) is probably the most efficient way to end it.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    You'd have to be more explicit about what you mean by that, exactly. I'm not up on my Harry Potter lore.
    Big scary black demon things that suck the life out of you. They're basically the literary representation of JKR's depression while she was writing the books.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Big scary black demon things that suck the life out of you. They're basically the literary representation of JKR's depression while she was writing the books.

So it's a powerful and chronic depression? @kari had a thread for curing that, didn't she?
    In all seriousness, though(her thread is actually full of great stuff, tbh), I have compassion...I suffered from depression periodically when I was a kid, and I had a good year long episode of it the year after I dropped out from college. There are a ton of strategies that can be effective...but I probably wouldn't venture to suggest much specific without knowing you better. The general approach that was most transformative for me, was radical self-forgiveness...refusing to be angry at myself, or angry at being angry at myself...basically forgiving myself for all of my frustrations, and for my own shortcomings, and for being impatient and disgruntled and anxious and apathetic and arrogant and generally human-hating. "I'm stupid, and ugly, and nobody likes me, but so what? God loves me anyway." That was my revised internal script, and knock on wood, I've been pretty well in the clear ever since. I recognize that the 'God' part might be a turnoff for a lot of people...and normally I would translate it for secular purposes, because I don't really think religion/spirituality is necessarily the lens people need to take...but I don't think I could really convey the idea more clearly, otherwise. Just substitute 'God' for whatever you consider to be loving, I guess.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I fully expect that, apart from accident, suicide will be the way out for me.

Why/When? Upon the first sign of major, irreversible lifestyle altering, debilitating injury or senescent infirmity-- I'm checking out. My life is not worth living apart from how I've been living it, free from such. As soon as my body breaks down or is broken down, that's it for me. Game over.

Where / How? I'm still researching the most painless, immediate means of doing so as on option. Depending on the circumstances, if there's someone or something I want to take out with me (including: as much of society-at-large as I can manage to take down), then I have other "mutually destructive" sorts of plans. From going on a suicidal killing spree involving cars, guns, whatever -- aiming for maximum collateral damage in terms of human life and property. Whatever the case, when I choose to go that's that. I'm not notifying anyone or doing any such social preparation. Why bother? My life is about to end. Fuck it.

As if I didn't need any reasons prior to reading this post, but remind me to stay the fuck out of the Greater Chicago Metropolitan area over the next few decade or so.

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Sometimes I feel suicidal and depressed, and think suicidal thoughts, but at the same time I'm one of those people who would never do it. For about a month once, I came seriously close, but proved i didn't have it in me, I researched options, considered getting hit by a bus. I was angry at life and felt I should be. There were times when the noose was on, where I felt I had no choice, that it was the only possible statement to express how uncool life was. It's a demon, an irresistible temptation perhaps, tantalizing you with a certain stream of thoughts, thoughts that sometimes reoccur, but no matter how powerful whatever demon is, I say you don't control me, I control me. And besides, I learned to just bounce back to my regular stream of thinking.

By the same token, being in control does have its perks, and I seriously ponder the morals of committing suicide for rational reasons at being such an old age versus the metaphysical preconceived notions that suicide is inherently wrong. At the end of the day, I just feel it's bad juju, and better just to die of whatev.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INXj
    Perhaps when I'm too senile I'd probably opt out. Don't want to be a burden to anyone. Possibly I'd be old enough to have enjoyed the highs and lows of life.

I want my death quick with less pain. Granting I don't have dementia then, a bullet in the head will be the answer.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Perhaps when I'm too senile I'd probably opt out.

There's a case going on in the Netherlands now where a doctor is being accused of illegally euthanising a person suffering from dementia. If you wait until you have diminished mental capacity it's probably too late.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    There's a case going on in the Netherlands now where a doctor is being accused of illegally euthanising a person suffering from dementia. If you wait until you have diminished mental capacity it's probably too late.
    That’s why it is wise to draft your death will when you’re 60. Onset of dementia may vary from one person to another so it is but realistic to plan ahead.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think that people who whine about the lack of a note are assholes that are either trying to make the suicide all about them and what they didn't get out of it, or drama junkies upset there's nothing to instagram.

Consequently, I offer the following boilerplate:

Quote Originally Posted by Dead person
    Goodbye living,

First things first: it's not about you. It's about me, and how I perceive the world. It's become too much to bear. Everywhere I look I see the same shit, every day, and I hate it. I've tried to come to terms with it, I've tried to find ways to accept what life has become for me. I've tried to overcome it and see things a different way, but none of it worked.

I hate Tootsie Rolls, always have, and always will, and everything I think I see, becomes a Tootsie Roll to me.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I think that people who whine about the lack of a note are assholes that are either trying to make the suicide all about them and what they didn't get out of it, or drama junkies upset there's nothing to instagram.
    Inversely, do you think that people who commit suicide are assholes who think life should be more about them and what they should have got out of it, or drama junkies upset that there's nothing to instagram?

Not sure if I see it that way...but if it is the case, then both groups probably deserve each other.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung