Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Opting out via suicide. The logistics: how, when, where, why and so so forth...

Type
    INXP
    I have seriously considered suicide before and I literally had the knife in my hand. Since then, I've decided that's not the way I want to go. I wanted to make up my mind one way or another and I guess the experience where I almost offed myself scared me enough not to go down that road.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Inversely, do you think that people who commit suicide are assholes who think life should be more about them and what they should have got out of it, or drama junkies upset that there's nothing to instagram?

Not sure if I see it that way...but if it is the case, then both groups probably deserve each other.
    Universally? No. But some are.

Some people who commit suicide do the world a favor. Unfortunately, not enough of the people who would be doing the world a favor by killing themselves do.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Universally? No. But some are.

Some people who commit suicide do the world a favor. Unfortunately, not enough of the people who would be doing the world a favor by killing themselves do.
    Well then I suppose this is also true for those disappointed that there's no note. I mean, I'm quite sure that most are not just self-absorbed assholes. They're sad, and want anything that helps with closure.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Well then I suppose this is also true for those disappointed that there's no note. I mean, I'm quite sure that most are not just self-absorbed assholes. They're sad, and want anything that helps with closure.
    I disagree. Not everything is a bijection. Most things aren't.

All sqwitches are morks, but not all morks are squitches is a common an logically valid statement.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I disagree. Not everything is a bijection. Most things aren't.

All sqwitches are morks, but not all morks are squitches is a common an logically valid statement.
    I agree that not everything is a bijection. I disagree that all who want a note are of the disposition you described.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    I only ever had real suicidal thoughts as a teenager, when I was stuck in my alcoholic mother's care and there wasn't much caring on her part.

She was so illogical and emotional it was living in insanity and was sometimes too much to bare.

Come home to an empty home with the equivalent of an A+ report card from school, I'd slave away cleaning the house, find some dinner to cook me and my brother and the thanks I would get when she finally staggered in drunk after midnight?

Getting dragged out of my bed and slapped for having left my tea cup on a table rather than putting it away.

The day I spent at school working and the night I spent cleaning?

Irrelevant in her self centered rage filled world.

That was tough... But tough times don't last.

Tough people do.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)