Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opting out via suicide. The logistics: how, when, where, why and so so forth...

This is one of those rare situations where lacking followthrough is an advantage.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I would never end my life because I don't have it in me to want that. Some people are more open/inclined to it, but I don't know why. Some say it runs in families.
    I mean, in the vast majority of the cases, it's because people are sick in the head. Anxiety, depression, a combination of the two, or other mental health issues can easily make life undesirable. Same reason why people who are terminally ill do it. For the most part, healthy animals don't self-destruct.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic View Post
    Nope. I'm not unhappy with my life or myself, it just seems like a graceful exit. Do you plan to kill yourself?
    i've thought about it, but if i had plans i wouldn't tell anyone.

looking at my life now, it's highly likely i'll outlive everyone i love, i don't plan on having kids, and i don't feel sorry for myself.

i could see myself "planning to die" if i just got really bored, but i'm very motivated by curiosity which i don't expect to outgrow.

when i've had no other reason to live, i still feel driven by "wanting to see what happens." will that change when i'm old? idk.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INXX
    I've done it. I failed.

After, I went to a chiropractor because I damaged myself somehow. He said how you kill yourself tells something about you. I never got the answer nor found it what it tells.

I walked from my house and found a deep miniature canyon or ditch if you want to call it that in a large field behind a police station between Costco and Target and ate a bottle of (discount)Tylenol PM. 90 pills. I bought them at the nearby Target. I had written a check to my wife for the whole amount of my checking account so buying the pills would have made it bounce- whoops. I just left a postit note saying I'm sorry on the check.

here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/CO...4d-104.7197632

Because it was November and it takes a while to die that way, I was cold so I tried to find a hidden place in the sun. I lay down behind the Dominoes near a ditch and lost consciousness.

I awoke in the hospital strapped down. It still took six people to down me down while they cathedorised me. Evidently, I was within a half hour of dying. I was missing a shoe and never found it.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I'll go with a fentanyl overdose.

Type
    INtP

the worst I thought would happen if I pissed off Ptah was that he'd perma-ban me. But nah, I could be killed in a weird quasi-suicide-mass murder attack. Most. Unsettling. "TIL." Ever.

Type
    INTP
    I've had 4...actually, 5 relatives on my mom's side do it...probably more that I don't know about. There's not really anything graceful about it. Not that there are many options for a graceful exit.

Whenever I encounter something like this and instinctively think, "I could never do that", I try to change the thought to "Yeah, I could do that"...not because I want to want to do it, but because it just feels like I'm freer to be in a space where I feel like I could choose it. It also serves to increase empathy and compassion to know that I could do the very worst things that other people do, too.

If I were to do such a thing, it would likely be impulsive like my relatives all were. If it wasn't going to be impulsive, I'm not sure...I might stage it more as a willful disappearance than as a suicide...make it so there was no body to find, and like all was well with me, just to preserve the memories of those I cared about. People that find suicides and people who have to deal with bodies afterwards don't deserve that crap.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    I mean, in the vast majority of the cases, it's because people are sick in the head. Anxiety, depression, a combination of the two, or other mental health issues can easily make life undesirable. Same reason why people who are terminally ill do it. For the most part, healthy animals don't self-destruct.
    yeah, i think the deadly combination is mental illness & suicide stigma + isolation/alienation either self-imposed or caused by all sorts of factors (social, economic etc.)

the stigma can sorta make it romantic, at least to an unhealthy brain.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    XXXX
    There are lots of replies and I sincerely want to read every opinion, so if I don't reply please let me know so I can go back to it.

Thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    I didn't think I'd make it past 24, but here I am. I only ever stopped myself from committing suicide by imagining how it'd impact my parents. I suppose as long as there's someone that'd be devastated by it, I wouldn't do it. But if I wind up alone and in poor health at post-middle age, it's likely. I'd probably just shoot myself.
    This doesn't make any sense (who cares how people feel when you're dead?), but I also really understand it. My parents and friends love me a lot; it's hard to imagine inflicting them with that kind of trauma. They will inherit it and carry it with them for the rest of their lives. It's hard for me to justify that but I also know that's a ten year timeline. They will both be gone in a decade and then I don't have considerations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I fully expect that, apart from accident, suicide will be the way out for me.

Why/When? Upon the first sign of major, irreversible lifestyle altering, debilitating injury or senescent infirmity-- I'm checking out. My life is not worth living apart from how I've been living it, free from such. As soon as my body breaks down or is broken down, that's it for me. Game over.

Where / How? I'm still researching the most painless, immediate means of doing so as on option. Depending on the circumstances, if there's someone or something I want to take out with me (including: as much of society-at-large as I can manage to take down), then I have other "mutually destructive" sorts of plans. From going on a suicidal killing spree involving cars, guns, whatever -- aiming for maximum collateral damage in terms of human life and property. Whatever the case, when I choose to go that's that. I'm not notifying anyone or doing any such social preparation. Why bother? My life is about to end. Fuck it.
    Thank you.

What you wrote in the first paragraph is probably the most accurate summary of my feelings. It's not a matter of distress, but practicality. Being alive in a human body is amazing until it isn't, I think. And every form of existence has a natural end time in which it bows out gracefully. Humans are no exceptions.

What is the motivation for collateral damage, though? Why take any part of society with you? My instinct is to say you're resentful and you think you'll get vengeance this way, but I also know you'll be on the level and will answer that pretty honestly so I'll wait for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Not even once.

So you have never felt vaguely suicidal?

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i've thought about it, but if i had plans i wouldn't tell anyone.

looking at my life now, it's highly likely i'll outlive everyone i love, i don't plan on having kids, and i don't feel sorry for myself.

i could see myself "planning to die" if i just got really bored, but i'm very motivated by curiosity which i don't expect to outgrow.

when i've had no other reason to live, i still feel driven by "wanting to see what happens." will that change when i'm old? idk.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I've done it. I failed.

After, I went to a chiropractor because I damaged myself somehow. He said how you kill yourself tells something about you. I never got the answer nor found it what it tells.

I walked from my house and found a deep miniature canyon or ditch if you want to call it that in a large field behind a police station between Costco and Target and ate a bottle of (discount)Tylenol PM. 90 pills. I bought them at the nearby Target. I had written a check to my wife for the whole amount of my checking account so buying the pills would have made it bounce- whoops. I just left a postit note saying I'm sorry on the check.

here:

Because it was November and it takes a while to die that way, I was cold so I tried to find a hidden place in the sun. I lay down behind the Dominoes near a ditch and lost consciousness.

I awoke in the hospital strapped down. It still took six people to down me down while they cathedorised me. Evidently, I was within a half hour of dying. I was missing a shoe and never found it.
    Do you think about trying again?

I hear stories about people committing suicide and when it has passed the point of no return, they feel some kind of regret. They leap off the golden gate bridge or whatever and finally have the epiphany they've been searching for all along: "life isn't so bad and my problems were fixable, but it's too late!!" .......*splash*. But when I hear from actual attemptees (is that a word?), I never hear that. They're more like you - "I tried, failed and woke up in the hospital." Ambivalent, I suppose. Do you think it changed you or you'd try again?

Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I've had 4...actually, 5 relatives on my mom's side do it...probably more that I don't know about. There's not really anything graceful about it. Not that there are many options for a graceful exit.

Whenever I encounter something like this and instinctively think, "I could never do that", I try to change the thought to "Yeah, I could do that"...not because I want to want to do it, but because it just feels like I'm freer to be in a space where I feel like I could choose it. It also serves to increase empathy and compassion to know that I could do the very worst things that other people do, too.

If I were to do such a thing, it would likely be impulsive like my relatives all were. If it wasn't going to be impulsive, I'm not sure...I might stage it more as a willful disappearance than as a suicide...make it so there was no body to find, and like all was well with me, just to preserve the memories of those I cared about. People that find suicides and people who have to deal with bodies afterwards don't deserve that crap.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I've done it. I failed.

here:

This post made me cry ((( Hopefully this was long ago. Take care of yourself, it doesn't always have to be this way.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/