Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Roseanne" Reboot Gets Cancelled

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by slush puppie View Post

sure, but if half the country's on her side, why should they care?

If you mean Trump supporters, though, it's really more like 30-40% if he's having a good week. A solid majority of the country is actively annoyed that he's even in office--which obviously doesn't get any better when he says something notably dumb on Twitter, and that happens at least once a week.

TV ratings don't have an Electoral College, and if political loyalties were the only thing they could really count on to drive loyalty to the show (the kind of loyalty that can keep a mass-market consumer product viable through some kind of controversy incidental to its merits as a product per se, anyway) that effect was never going to be stronger than an opposing outrage-fest at its full potential strength.

Especially since that very same factor is obviously also in play on the other side, increasing a lot of people's ambient predisposition to go right to a full persona no grata declaration the first time any kind of instigating incident did happen.

There's no way a national TV network's market-analytics people don't understand the broad mechanics at work in this kind of situation. It was a relatively ballsy bet on being able to collect the premiums from being the only big boy playing in the otherwise sparse Trump-supporter niche market.

Hence my bet is that they just underestimated Barr's own capabilities of personal impulse control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    As well, I think most of Trump's base are elderly or poor (or the white working class). Not the kind of folks advertisers consider prime targets (although raw numbers do count). So I believe it was just based on dollars. I think this is further supported by the fact the network is going to go with a spin-off. They are trying to have their cake (appease the p.c. crowd by dumping Roseanne) and eat it too - hope "The Connors" gets enough ratings to appeal to advertisers.