Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can feel when my brain reaches its ceiling

Banned
    Type
    ISFP

I can feel when my brain reaches its ceiling

Let me use this as an example --

I took a paper visual perspective taking test during a study a couple of years ago.

Basically, the study sought to measure participants' autistic traits and their math ability (basic multiplication problems on the last sheet).

The entire study was on paper.

First, we were given some amount of time to indicate which way the road was turning on a wavy roadmap from our set position. For the life of me, I wasn't able to figure out which way the road was turning from that orientation - so I began turning the paper to where I was oriented in first person (I think they wound up throwing away my results because of this; I was told to stop about 20 seconds after I'd already been turning the sheet around).

Then, the next portion had a tree and several objects around the tree. We had to draw which way the tree and a specific object were pointing to one another from an alternate point of view. I couldn't do that either. I was sitting there with blank pages when the time was up.

For these two specific tasks, my brain was frozen. It wasn't learned helplessness either.

I also feel my brain reach its limitations during other times, but the above is the most salient memory.

So I think I scored high on the autistic traits (if they even graded my packet), but in general - for this post -

tldr I'm referring to not being able to comprehend something and recognizing that I can't comprehend it no matter how hard I try. Like trying to start a car with a dead battery. Anyone else?
    Last edited by rokki balbotox; 06-30-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Type
    INTP
    It doesn't sound like they're testing for autism. I'm not sure of the purpose of that test though. Maybe for finding your way out of the woods.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    It doesn't sound like they're testing for autism. I'm not sure of the purpose of that test though. Maybe for finding your way out of the woods.
    No they were (traits keyword). An autistic trait is impaired cognitive perspective taking (usually intact affective perspective taking ability). For psychopaths, their cognitive perspective taking is intact, but their affective perspective taking is impaired. Kind of like opposites in That regard

In short yes they were measuring autistic traits with VPT tests

But the purpose of the story / post was to explore the brain shutting off and unable to comprehend and recognizing its limitations, rather than dwell on the specifics of the anecdote

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    No they were (traits keyword). An autistic trait is impaired cognitive perspective taking (usually intact affective perspective taking ability). For psychopaths, their cognitive perspective taking is intact, but their affective perspective taking is impaired. Kind of like opposites in That regard

In short yes they were measuring autistic traits with VPT tests

But the purpose of the story / post was to explore the brain shutting off and unable to comprehend and recognizing its limitations, rather than dwell on the specifics of the anecdote
    That feeling sounds familiar but I'm not sure I've had it that same way. I one looked at something that I took apart and it was simple with only so many ways a certain part could fit but I couldn't figure it out and it blew my mind a little because it seemed like I considered every possible configuration. Then a few months later I tried again and it was easy.

I've kind of had that feeling with some algorithm I was working on for a computer program but I worked it out.

Some people may get that feeling with the concept of infinity. I've heard some people can't comprehend it. I think it's easy to comprehend. "Can't comprehend" may not be the right term for what people are feeling.

I just drew this. I don't know if it's a good test but:

1. All poles are the same height. Draw the shadows of the polls
    2. For each pole, imagine yourself at the top, observing the man and the tree, and state the position of the tree relative to the man (for example "tree is left").

Could you do this?

I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    treepole.jpg

I thiiiink I did this right. The tree is in front of the man assuming he's facing the tree but if he's facing the road then it is behind the man. Am I being trolled rn. No I can't do it any other way than the way I just did it (I think). Unless I was on the pole (I think)
    Last edited by rokki balbotox; 06-30-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Type
    INTP
    treepole.jpg

I thiiiink I did this right. The tree is in front of the man assuming he's facing the tree but if he's facing the road then it is behind the man. Am I being trolled rn. No I can't do it any other way than the way I just did it (I think). Unless I was on the pole (I think)
    Indicate left or right (or "upper left" or "upper right" etc.) The words "left" or "right" must be used.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Indicate left or right (or "upper left" or "upper right" etc.) The words "left" or "right" must be used.
    Is he facing the tree

Type
    INTP
    OK. Well, the results of this test depend on what typical people are able to do so I'd need to hear from other members.

Type
    INTP
    Is he facing the tree
    Without needing our imagination, our point of view when we look at the picture is from between (and above) poles 2 and three. From this point of view we plainly see that the man is to the left of the tree. Now, if you imagine moving a little to the right, do you think it's more likely that the man will appear less to the left of the tree or farther to the left of the tree, or, do you think it's even possible that the man will appear to the right of the tree if you move right?

Type
    INTP
    To eliminate language issues, this test would be better as multiple choice. There may be an issue with the phrase "state the position of the tree relative to the man." Maybe it's better to say "describe the position of the man and tree from your point of view (for example, "tree appears upper left relative to man")" but multiple choice eliminates the difficulty of finding the right words.