Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can feel when my brain reaches its ceiling

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    My interpretation in two dimensions:

Forgiveness for my subjective interpretation of the high fidelity spatial representation of the original image :P

With the blue squares representing the towers, the man in black, and the tree being green.

We can see from the viewpoint of tower 1 (with sight lines represented in red) that the man is to the right of the tree.

We see from the viewpoint of tower 2 (with sight lines represented in yellow) that the tree is directly behind/in-line with the man (or potentially "above" the man if this is actually a 3d world and we're trying to describe this in every-day english).

We can see from the viewpoint of tower 3 (with sight lines in purple), that the man is now to the left of the tree.

Edit: for the shadows, we need to know the relative position of the lightsource in a 3 dimensional space, and/or whether it can be assumed to be at practical infinity (in which case the shadow on all three are parallel, with length of the shadow proportionate to the height of each tower via some function of the angle of the light source)

*mic-drop*

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    My interpretation in two dimensions:

Forgiveness for my subjective interpretation of the high fidelity spatial representation of the original image :P

With the blue squares representing the towers, the man in black, and the tree being green.

We can see from the viewpoint of tower 1 (with sight lines represented in red) that the man is to the right of the tree.

We see from the viewpoint of tower 2 (with sight lines represented in yellow) that the tree is directly behind/in-line with the man (or potentially "above" the man if this is actually a 3d world and we're trying to describe this in every-day english).

We can see from the viewpoint of tower 3 (with sight lines in purple), that the man is now to the left of the tree.

Edit: for the shadows, we need to know the relative position of the lightsource in a 3 dimensional space, and/or whether it can be assumed to be at practical infinity (in which case the shadow on all three are parallel, with length of the shadow proportionate to the height of each tower via some function of the angle of the light source)

*mike-drop*
    Yeah. I made the rays parallel, instead of how they're usually represented, to make it a little easier, but you would have gotten it anyway. Not getting everything probably doesn't mean much though. If the answers are really bad, that would probably mean something. Still don't know what rokki's results mean.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    On the original topic, everyone's brain has a limit/ceiling?

My brain, for instance, does not have photographic memory, and it can't do sonar

Type
    INTP
    My brain was almost scrambled by a bullet but the gun misfired. My husband tried to kill me. been gone from here awhile due to abusive relationship. Im in hiding. weird yeah?

Type
    INTP
    Oh my god...barbed wire. He loved to keep beautiful things in cages

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantumzero View Post
    My brain was almost scrambled by a bullet but the gun misfired. My husband tried to kill me. been gone from here awhile due to abusive relationship. Im in hiding. weird yeah?
    Glad you're okay. Hope you can write about it sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    I have no limits
    except for my laziness i guess ;D

OP, maybe try some IQ test on the internet, there is always a part of it dedicated to spatial coordination / 3d alignment

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    It's a good thing to recognise your limits. On one hand, it's comforting to know that they exist, and realising this also keeps you from becoming totally unsociable. On the other hand, who knows, you might find a way to push those limits later.

I find spatial tasks very easy but I suck anything that is hard to visualise. I remember trying to learn how to solve logarithmic equations in high school and it was like trying to catch a ball that was flying too high above me. A mathematician acquaintance tried to explain them to me years later and it still was impossible. I understood all of the individual bits of information he was giving me, like what variable went where, but actually doing anything with it? Yeah, not enough mental RAM for that.

tl;dr

rokki, I think you're good, different people suck at different things, but we all suck on some level, so it's cool.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Yeah even in video games, rocket league for example, I can't play if I can see the outside of the car. I have to have it as close to first person as I can. Same with any other game. I always first person POV otherwise I'm fucked

Type
    INTP
    Now, I can rotate entire cities in my mind. I can even in some sense "see" algorithms (for long or complex ones I sometimes represent them spatially inside my head).

What I'm pretty sure I struggle to do, to the point where I'm not sure its even a real thing and not just something invented by hollywood, is consciously retrieve faces out of my memory.

This is different from storing or recognising faces, either in working memory or in front of me or later.

What I don't understand are police sketch artists. I mean, I would have trouble describing to anyone the face of my wife or my friends: not because of a lack of vocabulary, but because consciously pulling the details of a face before my mind from memory is incredibly difficult.

Is this real? Are there mental tricks involved?