Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sushi Recomendations

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    The reason why they add sugar to the sushi rice is because sugar is part of the process. Immediately after cooking the rice, you transfer it (hot!) to a wide shallow bowl, spread it out in an even layer, and pour a solution of rice vinegar, sugar, and a bit of salt over it. Then you use a rice paddle to fold it over on itself and smooth it out again. You do this continually as the rice cools to room temp, stopping only to fan it, unless you're clever enough to rig up an electric fan to help cool the rice.

NO! It's rice and rice vinegar. No salt, no sugar. God!!

Goddammit Heph, is this going to turn into another mason jar debate?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    NO! It's rice and rice vinegar. No salt, no sugar. God!!

Goddammit Heph, is this going to turn into another mason jar debate?
    I have a book on how to make sushi that says you're mistaken both historically and contemporaneously. The first chapter is a history of development from a means of preserving fish to being a way of serving fresh fish (among other things), and the next section details how to prepare the rice. I've also verified with ze internet and every recipe I saw called for it. Then there was the discussion with an immigrant sushi chef who also affirmed it. Plum sugar makes fantastic sushi rice in my eating experience, though I've never acquired it for home cooking.

Edit: the very earliest preservation methods don't explicitly mention sugar, but as sugar, vinegar, and salt are all preservatives, I doubt it took long once sugar was sufficiently common. Sushi rice is a short-cycled hot pickling.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 07-04-2018 at 01:44 AM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Is that what it's there for?? I'd try to pile it on the sushi and eat it at the same time.
    No one can take me anywhere.
    Nah, youíre not alone. Almost everyone does it here in the US. But if youíre in it for the real sushi experience, itís advisable to eat the ginger after the sushi especially when youíre eating different kinds of sushi in one sitting.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    So uh, I order sushi on most months and it's usually the Philadelphia roll.

/

Lots of sushi options have things in them that I'm allergic to. I like sushi when I have a craving but it doesn't satisfy me as a dinner; I prefer something hot and calorie dense at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Westerners.

You don’t put wasabi in the soy sauce. (Watch the video at the bottom too while you’re at it)

Also, “eating sushi with your fingers” is NOT all right, it is the RIGHT way. Historically and culturally sushi is a finger food.
    Yeah when I went to Japan, we had a chef prepare it fresh in front of us. In the nigiri he put a tiny hint of wasabi between the sashimi and the rice (I didn't ask for it because I don't like wasabi, I didn't not ask for it because I don't know Japanese). I was surprised because in Australia you usually have to ask for it. I didn't like wasabi before that but I liked it then.

I've seen some really odd additions to sushi here. Including corn flakes, and kraft cheese slices. Still ate that shit up

Anything with eel and tamago, just shove it in my dumb mouth.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    Ew, Ew, Ew.

To anything salty and fishy.

Ew.

Why was I out on this planet, I don't even like what's in the sea.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Nah, youíre not alone. Almost everyone does it here in the US. But if youíre in it for the real sushi experience, itís advisable to eat the ginger after the sushi especially when youíre eating different kinds of sushi in one sitting.
    You chew it up and swallow it? The ginger

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    You chew it up and swallow it? The ginger
    I'm sorely tempted to tell you that you wrap it around a chopstick and swab out your mouth.

But yes, you eat it. It's food.

I've found it also helps with nausea to tuck a slice in my cheek like chaw and suck it like a lozenge until it starts breaking apart--at which point I finish eating it and get another piece unless my stomach has settled.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)