Thread: What age did your kid(s) start talking?

Banned
    Type
    ISFP

What age did your kid(s) start talking?

The pediatrician wants my 15 month old to go to speech therapy as she isn't talking the way she should be at this age. She used to say Ma Ma, but now all she does is grunt or babble.

I am in the process of getting her set up, and she will be going regularly. It can't hurt, of course, so I'm not against it at all.

But part of me is thinking heeeeere comes the autism diagnosis.

What age did your kids start talking? Or friends' kids , nieces/nephews, siblings, etc.

Type
    INTP
    I started speaking a little late. I walked a little early.

Reverting to babble from ma ma doesn't sound good but it could be from a change in attention given to her.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    My kid has been on schedule so far. He's just at the bottom of the charts in terms of physical size.

I think that part of the therapy should be diagnosing whether or not there is some sort of underlying issue. And then you can always get a second opinion if the diagnosis seems wrong. Starting to talk and then regressing is more troubling than if she were simply a late talker. There could be a number of possible causes.

...Or it could be a quirk. Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted out.

Type
    xNxx
    I don't know, 4? 5? Oh actually I don't have kids.

Type
    INTP
    My first and third spoke very early, expressing pretty sophisticated concepts by the time they were 2(in 8-12 word sentences) but my second hardly spoke until after she was 2 (not uncommon when they have a sibling doing most of the communicating).
    The first and second both had lisps, but I just coached them occasionally and laughed with them about how funny some words sounded, and the boy outgrew it by 4 years, and #2 is starting to figure out her Rs and Ses at 3.5 years old. She sounds like a New Yorker with a lisp the way she talks these days.

My kids have gone through regressive phases, too...usually when something emotional was bugging them...
    ...the upside was that they didn't regress in ability just in their willingness to employ said ability.

My boy's been going through phases lately where he'd prefer to communicate everything via dinosaur roars (he knows that dinos probably sounded like birds...but he's very much in love with Jurassic Park, lately). He even has different walks for when he is being a different type of dino. Talk about regression, eh? Millions of years backwards. He seems bummed sometimes when we insist that he speak normally...and occasionally resists (either via roars, or via silence).

I think speech therapy is probably harmless...but I tend to prefer avoiding interventions that are not necessary precisely for the reasons you indicated...interventions can snowball into premature diagnoses (usually of conditions that are not well understood).
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

More like what age does she stop

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    What age for having a kid