Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best book on male fashion

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Agree with jigglypuff, it's bathroom reading at best. I mean, there's nothing wrong with trying to dress well, but from the previews, the advice is just stupid. Wear giant large sunglasses at night? What is this, the 80s? Never use rolling luggage? And then they're telling people to bring "two t-shirts" for Paris. You need to be more specific than that for the kind of people who need these books. They're going to wind up wearing giant Star Wars themed t-shirts, and their sweater will be a hoodie. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you might as well give no advice at all.

If you want to look like an Ivy League douche, just stick to online fashion blogs and forums with lots attorneys. Or better yet, just go into some decent men's clothing stores and let the salespeople help you out.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Protest

Perhaps that book's readers care about their appearance because that's their way of showing respect to their fellow humans?

On the occasions that I must spend money on and wear clothing I do not want to wear because of a matter of "respect," I promise you it is not respect that I feel, it is pure resentment, sometimes bordering on hatred. It isn't respect that gets me into those clothes, it's my own lack of agency. It's a reminder that I live in a world that judges me primarily by how well I perform in the areas where I am least gifted and that no amount of achievement or talent will ever trump a cute pair of shoes worn to the company Christmas party in terms of the amount of social power I can wield when I need it to continue to thrive in the world. There is no way to overstate how much I resent this state of affairs.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    On the occasions that I must spend money on and wear clothing I do not want to wear because of a matter of "respect," I promise you it is not respect that I feel, it is pure resentment, sometimes bordering on hatred. It isn't respect that gets me into those clothes, it's my own lack of agency. It's a reminder that I live in a world that judges me primarily by how well I perform in the areas where I am least gifted and that no amount of achievement or talent will ever trump a cute pair of shoes worn to the company Christmas party in terms of the amount of social power I can wield when I need it to continue to thrive in the world. There is no way to overstate how much I resent this state of affairs.
    You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The trick is to tell yourself "All will be fine at the company Christmas party, I'm wearing my cute shoes after all".

Also, the effect of the power suit is real – not just on your surroundings, but on your own self-confidence. This goes especially for people who are women.

It all sounds as if you just haven't found the right item of clothing yet. If I ever play a concert in your part of the world, I'mma take you shopping.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I will say this, in situations where a suit and tie are warranted, I've always felt better for wearing the suit and tie. And if it's too formal, you can always remove the tie.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by NedLudd View Post
    I will say this, in situations where a suit and tie are warranted, I've always felt better for wearing the suit and tie. And if it's too formal, you can always remove the tie.
    I agree and would like to add that generally, it's pretty difficult to overdress, especially if you're a city dweller.

I'm trying to think of a personal experience where I was uncomfortably overdressed but I'm drawing a blank. Uncomfortably underdressed, on the other hand – now there's a plethora of anecdotes I'd rather hadn't happened.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The trick is to tell yourself "All will be fine at the company Christmas party, I'm wearing my cute shoes after all".
    I don't want to be cute. I don't mean that in the, "i'm not cute, I'm deadly, or hot, or dangerous." meme sort of way. I mean I don't want to walk into a room full of people and be evaluated as hot or cute or pretty or beautiful because nothing of value can result from any of these things. I don't want to be sexually desired by random people. I'm married, what's the point, plus I don't want to deal with jealousy. At the same time, I don't want people to feel negatively toward me based on my appearance. It's a fine line, but it gets wider as I get older (hurry up white hair! I'm at about 10% right now). I'm too tall to be invisible, though I'd still try if I could, but my husband's job is very public, so I'm often front and center, sometimes on the stage table.

It's funny, after a decade of doing a mediocre job at social functions, I'd achieved a solid "meh" rating. Then Baton Rouge flooded. I'm a genius at flood demolition and practical physics in general and I've got ridiculous endurance for physical labor, plus I'm really really strong. Over half the houses in the company flooded and I worked and worked and worked, even ran the crews at a some of the houses after everyone realized I knew my shit. It no longer matters what I wear within reason...I've got mad respect at the company parties. Now if only I could get my in-laws to be interested in anything at all that I'm good at, lol.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Banned
    Type
    ISFP

Also, the effect of the power suit is real – not just on your surroundings, but on your own self-confidence. This goes especially for people who are women.

It all sounds as if you just haven't found the right item of clothing yet. If I ever play a concert in your part of the world, I'mma take you shopping.
    I think that's an extremely superficial way of seeing it. Confidence doesn't even makes it into this topic. I would even argue that confidence is that one skill others will always avoid of accepting in you so they can be on top. It's flawed and it's Fe. Plus you put it as if you are filling an space that you don't want others to see.
    ESFJ confirmed.
    Last edited by PureViolence; 07-06-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The magazine says "Never fly on business-class-only flights. The whole point of flying business class is to have someone you can pity ten rows back." Its readers may not be the finest human specimens around. xD

Anyway, I instantly distrust a guy who has more fashion sense than me. For six years I dated a guy who used to be extremely opinionated about my clothing. It's like he wanted a doll to dress up. In fact one of the first things he said to me was "I bet that coat couldn't have cost more than 20 dollars, and yet it looks great on you." Um, thanks? I can't even believe those things when I remember them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    It doesn't pay to fight the weather; you'll always lose.

Instead of turning your nose at human nature, I say embrace it for all it's worth. Both you and those around you will be better for it.

Anyways, it's super not hard to dress well as a man. Maybe I'll make a thread at some point, with shocking tips like "don't wear stupid sneakers".

~

On the book - yeah some things they say are silly; but those are obvious, and most of the time they're being tongue-in-cheek.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishaad T. Cock View Post
    It doesn't pay to fight the weather; you'll always lose.
    Tell that to Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.