Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The End of Roe v. Wade?

silent magician lv. 4 slush puppie's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    It's worth mentioning that while it is far far easier for a young childless man to get a vasectomy, it is still stigmatized.
    i'm 27, child-free, and trying to get that done soon. i plan on telling them that i strongly believe in adoption---which is true, but i'm not sure yet whether i'll actually go through with it. i don't plan on telling them that last part, only that i plan on adopting.

i'll let you know how easy it actually turns out to be for me. :P
    I used to wonder about that myself. Crazy thing is...it's true. All of it. ---Han Solo

We must wade through bitter waters before we reach the sweet. ---Dr. Van Helsing

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's really hard for people to accept that a woman doesn't want to be a mom. At around 40, people stop practically begging you to hurry up and have kids and instead start asking you why you didn't, often with trepidation, like they are expecting a story of multiple heartbreaks. Lately when the subject of grandkids comes up, as it often does with folks my age, I get a lot of sympathetic clucking as if everyone is certain it must be too painful for me to talk about how empty my childless devastation of a lifetime has been, and they are less likely to pry into the why of it for fear I'll have a hysterical breakdown over my unbearable (see what I did there) tragedy. People just can't wrap their heads around a woman who WANTS to be child free.
    I’m in My 40s, Child-Free and Happy. Why Won’t Anyone Believe Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INtP
    I wonder if the average age of ligation will go down if roe v. wade is overturned, and if, in turn, the next thing the fundies will go after is the right to a ligation.
    Like @starla said, it's all about control over a person's sex life. They see women as the "gatekeepers" of sexual purity for themselves and the other gender, so they oppose any method to reduce the 'cost' or 'punishment' related to sex (pregnancy, STI's). They see it as enabling immoral behavior.

I didn't do my research when I got a routine physical and inquired about birth control. I had a lecture about how condoms were routinely manufactured in a way that made them grossly defective (untrue), he wanted to look up whether Nuva-Ring prevented implantation (presumably because he'd had a problem with it then, to which I said it doesn't and that I didn't care anyway), and then told me I was contra-indicated for a prescription for birth control because I smoked cigarettes. Later I found a better doctor and got my prescription and she confirmed that with my health status, there would be no issue with being on the pill. I worry about women that are naive and swallow whatever a doctor or authority figure would tell them.

ETA: he also knew I was unmarried and made sure to emphasize that abstinence was the only "100% effective birth control." oi.

Type
    INTx
    People who find it morally repugnant to kill a human fetus aren't any more crazy, brainwashed, or control freaks than people who find it morally repugnant to kill an elk.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Later I found a better doctor and got my prescription and she confirmed that with my health status, there would be no issue with being on the pill.
    She said there's no issue being on the pill if you're a smoker past 35?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    She said there's no issue being on the pill if you're a smoker past 35?
    This happened when I was in early to mid 20's.

I smoked for six years and was on birth control for a majority of it, and he was the only doctor to have expressed concern.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    People who find it morally repugnant to kill a human fetus aren't any more crazy, brainwashed, or control freaks than people who find it morally repugnant to kill an elk.
    One group shouldn't kill fetuses, and the other group shouldn't kill elk. It's when the one group says that it should be illegal for anyone to do it, that's where the problems start.

Type
    INTP
    Abortion should be legal and Roe v Wade is idiotic and should be overturned.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    One group shouldn't kill fetuses, and the other group shouldn't kill elk. It's when the one group says that it should be illegal for anyone to do it, that's where the problems start.
    The extent to which fetus or elk killing should be prohibited, if at all, would be more properly a question for the individual states. "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The Constitution doesn't address any right to an abortion and it delegates no powers to the federal government to regulate abortions.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Abortion should be legal and Roe v Wade is idiotic and should be overturned.
    I won't make a comment about whether it should/shouldn't be overturned, because we don't live in some fantastic rational utopia, but I will whole-heartedly agree both with the proposition the Roe v Wade is a prime example of the "sillyness" of legal interpretation, in this case in the context of the US legal system, and that abortion should be legal and easily accessible. The problem of Roe v Wade is that it builds policy on a foundation that is so fundamentally flawed. But I do not know how feasible it would be for somewhere like the US to have granted access to abortion through any other means, so it may be the best of a bad bunch in your context...