Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The End of Roe v. Wade?

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    People who find it morally repugnant to kill a human fetus aren't any more crazy, brainwashed, or control freaks than people who find it morally repugnant to kill an elk.
    Where do I apply for my fetus hunting license?

I bet I could put them on the menu and people would bite. Just gotta call it something fancy sounding.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    The extent to which fetus or elk killing should be prohibited, if at all, would be more properly a question for the individual states. "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The Constitution doesn't address any right to an abortion and it delegates no powers to the federal government to regulate abortions.
    The decision as to whether to kill elk, when to kill them, and how many to kill should be (and usually is) left to wildlife management experts based on the health and sustainability of the populations in the environment. In general, as hunting becomes more and more atavistic an occupation, the problem we run into is an overabundance of cervids and a corresponding decimation of the environment. It would be hilarious if we treated abortions the same way, lol. Someone needs to write a new modest proposal.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

I bet I could put them on the menu and people would bite. Just gotta call it something fancy sounding.
    Veal sapienne
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    I don't really see that judgement that Sista talks about.

My boss of three years was an ISTJ woman in her 40's, never had kids.. wanted a career and a kid free life... I didn't see anyone judging her for anything, besides being a grumpy, anti social bitch.

Wouldn't have wished her as a mother on any kid, lolol.

Mxx doesn't wants kids either... What's to judge?
    I just worry who'll be taking care of her in her old age... Money can buy you services, by it can't buy you compassion.

Her & Limey will most likely be put in seperate care homes.. and unless you have a large and caring family, you'll probably be left to rot, even if the toilet seats are gold plated.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Even if you have a kid, that's no guarantee someone will care for you when you're elderly. Every evil shitstain that ever walked the earth had parents.

I'm approaching the problem by eating bacon and making only token effort to monitor my health. I want to be healthy enough to be comfortable, but not so healthy I don't croak before becoming unable to look after myself.

I vaccilate between wanting to be a healthy immortal so I can live long enough to learn and do all the things, and looking at humanity and wanting to be done with watching the shitshow.

IMSO, anyone who can't understand why a woman wouldn't want kids, probably lacks the ability to see them as people.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Even if you have a kid, that's no guarantee someone will care for you when you're elderly.
    Ah yes, the "infinitely recursive generational slavery" argument for children.

I know exactly what Sista is talking about and have heard them all, and am now looking forward to the shitshow that will likely happen when I voice the opinion that having a child ISN'T much of an achievement (beyond a lot of work) or existentially revelatory in some way...

I look forward to being labelled a monster

Type
    INTP
    Well it's not slavery, they can walk away from the implied familial and social contract whenever they like.. but most people usually don't and usually don't either through love or want of inheritance.

Personally, I love my family and want to add to it.

Nothing is permanent in this life, and the only joy we really have is what we call "love".

I don't even know what's real in the world, but love seems real.. and that is why the persuit of love is always a priority, for me and most of us at least.

Working with old people, and just looking around society in general.. a lonely, loveless life seems like the most wasted existence.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

Whatever you call it, preface it with "locally sourced" or "responsibly harvested."
    Last edited by Sir Caveat; 07-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I just worry who'll be taking care of her in her old age... Money can buy you services, by it can't buy you compassion.

Her & Limey will most likely be put in seperate care homes.. and unless you have a large and caring family, you'll probably be left to rot, even if the toilet seats are gold plated.
    Mrs. Woolf and I chose not to have kids, and I've thought about the same thing. What will happen will happen. Who knows, I might choose to check out on my own terms, but not while Mrs. Woolf is still alive.

As Heph said, having kids guarantees you nothing. I think fear is a shitty reason to have them anyway; it can make for resentful parents.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Mrs. Woolf and I chose not to have kids.
    I decided fairly early that I didn't want kids. The person I was with the longest (16 years) was an INFJ and I think that decision hurt her deeply (she has someone else's kids now). I sometimes regret it (I like kids). I used to think I'd be a terrible father (like my ISTJ dad), but now I'm not so sure. Life would certainly have been different.

Do you ever think that you made the wrong decision?