Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: In the Kitchen

Type
    ISFP
    450 for thirty minutes sounds like so long, but obviously it wasn't

I'd kill for a piece of that with a slab of good fatty butter and some salt!

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    My partner doesn't like lamb, so I took the opportunity of her being out of town to make braised lamb shanks.

Spoiler: baaa
    [SPOILER]Step 1 sear

Step 2 braise (yes I picked some meat off while it was cooking, don't judge)

Also cook some yellow rice

Step 3(?) eat

Step 3.5 get sad because you're eating alone

Step 4 clean everything up

Type
    ISFP

I'd give anything to have been able to stick my index finger into the rice twice and make eyes. This will do

Ned your lamb looks amazing. What's in that sauce?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp

Sauce is super simple, it's just chicken stock, diced tomatoes, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and salt.

Type
    INTP
    Recently tried my hand at making chocolate from scratch. Or, something very much like it. Outcome is surprisingly delightful.

Most of the process is not unlike making nut butter. I roasted the cocoa beans in the oven following the guideline on chocolatealchemy, and this was a bit too much for the size of the batch I had but I like the smokiness. Shelling by hand was time-consuming, I won't do that again without a helping hand. Then, you just grind the hell out of the nibs to form chocolate liquor. This is where I stopped (and added sugar). The next required step is 'conching' up to several days in a melangeur. All this does is grind the remaining tiny bits to tinier particles, to yield that smooth melt-in-your-mouth texture. My bar was a bit grainy without that, but not in a bad way. The taste reminded me of coffee and hazelnuts.

I expected this to be a waste of time since bulk cocoa beans aren't cheap. However, the resulting chocolate is different enough and on part with highly expensive dark chocolate bars I've tried (save for the meltiness), and besides shelling it was painless. I also noticed it benefited from resting; the taste was better the next day. I still have the husks/shells and don't know what to do with them. The gf thinks you could make a candle with that.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I'm cooking my first stew... I know it's not technically hard, but it's my first attempt. My mom must have shown me precisely 1586 times, but I didn't retain much information at the time (growing up).

Anyway, the recipe I'm using seems far superior, smells awesome.

If I pull this off, this could be the beginning of my culinary adventures!
    All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    ISFP
    @Faust I'm blown away that you've undertaken this task. Would you do it again?
    @Sinny post some pics man. The army made me hate stews, yakisoba, and omlettes; but I've since learned to love close subtitutes like Mississippi pot roast, speciality ramen, and tamagoyaki

Type
    INTP
    Spoiler: >

Presentation could be a little better, but over all it was a success. Meat was soft, sauce was the right consistency, flavour was good. (Seasoning, beef stock, mixed herbs, tomatoe paste and brown sauce!) Ha! Rev hates brown sauce, but he loved the stew!
    All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Doesn't get much easier than spag bol for dinner tonight:

I could live off spag bol sauce & garlic bread... Mmm..

Type
    ISFP
    I like your bowl. Yeah that stew looks good af
    Last edited by roki; 11-13-2019 at 09:49 PM.