Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What've you won?

Type
    INTp
    It's just luck that ever gets me in some winner category, and since I don't do lotteries or scratchoffs it's a pretty rare experience.

I got first place in a trials bike competition last year, but it was really because the course was so demanding that the other riders dropped out. I cleaned almost no sections, and only the stubborness to finish got me the win. It wasn't a reflection of any real skill on my part.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INFP
    A Harry Potter poster
    A children's book from Cricket Magazine
    A bag of healthy goodies from a raffle in a diabetes awareness thing
    Plastic trophies from chess tournaments

(I haven't won anything cool as an adult )

Type
    intp
    At the end of primary school I was awarded "class clown" by the teacher. I had quite a lot of good jokes back then. I was channeling some entp thing.

At the end of high school I was awarded "most likely to not provide any official reason for taking days off". Some times I would take a week or a month off because I just didn't really feel like it (i.e. I was immensely depressed and anxious about stuff).

Type
    INTP
    My middle school's schoolwide spelling bee.

Two years in a row. Motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    I once won a $50 gift card to Benihana's for showing up to a company Christmas party. If I accomplish nothing else, at least we'll always have Benihana's.

Type
    INTP
    I feel like this is merit based but then when I lose I call it bad luck. I won like $560 some odd dollars on a 7 game parlay in Vegas. It was only a $7 bet. I was quite proud of myself. It was a bit over 80-1 odds. I can't remember exactly, very long time ago. A couple of games were like +115, +120 so they paid a bit more. I've hit 6 for 6 a few times. A few 5 gamers but I typically keep it to 3 games now if not just doing straight bets. Which, really, haven't been to Vegas in years. When friends go I usually give them money to make futures bets. Caesar's Palace used to have this bet 15 of 15 $5 for $100,000. It's really going to be my life's mission to win that before I die. Closest I've come is 11, 1 push and one game ppd because of weather. iirc 14/15 would still pay like $1450. They stopped listing it as a special. I asked the guys at the sports book if I could still do it and book mgr was said ok. I don't even know if I got 7 that time. I think $5, 15/15 for $100K is less odds than it would be if you were to continue the normal pattern of increases between 6 of 6, 7 of 7, 8 of 8, etc. It's a foolish bet but still kinda fun to keep track of while I'm still winning on my picks. I generally do better when picking all college or all pro football on a parlay. Hate feeling like my luck/skill has to carry over to the next day.

Type
    INTP
    Oh, and a $2 bet with each of IIRC five other people on the match that turned out to be Chuck Liddell's first UFC title.

I forget when this was, maybe like 2006. The defending champion was Tito Ortiz, and everybody else I was watching it with was just talking all kinds of shit about how it wasn't even going to be much of a fight because Ortiz was obviously just going to steamroll whoever he was up against.

Actually I'm pretty sure that was the first UFC I ever actually watched. I really had no idea who any of the competitors were.

It was just that when they got the final headline match, the cameras were all on Ortiz walking in with this total douchecanoe smug shit-eating grin on his face, waving to everybody and all that kind of shit, so I of course thought "Oh my God, I hate this guy already and I'd love to see him get his ass kicked."

Then they showed Liddell coming in, and his whole attitude was just obviously the complete opposite of that--dead silent, absolute thousand-yard stare at the ring like nothing else existed--and the announcers were calling him "The Iceman."

So I thought "OK, not only do I immediately love this guy, he's obviously not walking out of this arena without a win, and I'm 99% certain he's going to get it, just judging from the look on his face. Ortiz is here to mug for the cameras and sell T-shirts and shit--this dude is here to goddamn kill somebody."

And like, the whole thing my friends were all on about here was this thing about "MMA fights always go to the mat--every fight goes to the mat. Nobody can fuck with Tito Ortiz's jiu jitsu, and Liddell's just a boxer. He ain't got shit for ground game."

So they were all saying this crap like "man, I wish I could bet on this fight, but like obviously nobody's going to bet against Ortiz."

To which I said "Well, fuck it, you know I've got about 10 bucks in my pocket right now, and I'll split it with all of you"--so in effect, I'm taking a bet with 5-to-1 odds.

Then it only goes to like the 3rd round, and then this thing happens where Ortiz tries to go in for some kind of leg-sweep-to-wrestling-move combo, but Liddell cuts the whole thing off by parrying it with a jab to his chin.

Ortiz has to back off, but he manages to recover from it--but then Liddell goes on the offensive. He warms up with a couple jab kicks to the high, then a couple quick punches to the ribs--and then follows up with this absolutely gorgeous punch which to this day is still one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I think the industry term would be "Haymaker", but we're pretty much talking about the Platonic Ideal of all punches here. He's got Ortiz's defenses all opened up, and he comes through with this perfectly placed straight-up cold-cock to the temple that just lays Ortiz out on the floor--and he doesn't get up. That's the end of the fight.

I got a good six or seven minutes of righteous, glorious strutting out of it, yelling "Oh, my, GOD. The motherfucking ICE MAAAN just knocked you guys' pretty boyfriend the FUCK OUT. You talked all that shit, and now you gotta pay me for it!"

(10 bucks, which I think I presumably spent on weed that I smoked with these same guys shortly thereafter--but the money, of course, was not the point of any of this.)

Like, I am not much of a fighter at all. Never have been, though I suppose I've held my own adequately once or twice (actually now that I think of it there was this one kind of epic wrestling match when I was 12, against this asshole kid who'd been bullying me the whole week at Boy Scout camp, but uh, I guess I digress).

But there are these cases that happen where you can sometimes read the goddamn future because it's basically just written all over some random person's face, and lucky for me this happened to be one of those times.

Well, anyway--Chuck fuckin Liddell, you guys.

The motherfucking Ice Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    A big teddy bear at a gaming arcade one time! Also childhood psychological trauma
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    First thing I ever won was a SNES from a raffle at a hockey tournament I played in as a kid...my dad bought me the ticket.
    I've also won a bunch of little art contests.
    I've won sportsmanship awards, and 'digger' awards in hockey tournaments as a kid...and of course various first, second and third place trophies in hockey tourneys.
    I won a $100 pre-paid visa at an appreciation dinner at work a few weeks back for 'safety, leadership, and performance'...got nominated by co-workers, and was drawn as a raffle.
    I won 3 months of free cable a few years ago, too...
    hmm...I won an election back in 2014 to be the Union Rep for my local.

People occasionally give me scratch tickets for my birthday, too. One year, on one ticket, I won a free ticket...and I turned it in for a new ticket which also won a free ticket...and this went on for 8 tickets in a row before I finally lost...I would just randomly remember that I had the ticket...I think I probably turned them in at like 4 different places in the end of it all...over the course of a few weeks. It was an exciting streak...but not really a true win in the end, I guess.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Oh, when I visited Arizona once, we flew into Vegas, rented a car and drove...when we were back in Vegas and about to board our plane, I put my last few coins in a slot machine, figuring what the heck, I'll try it...and I won $300-some dollars...paid for the cost of the car rental.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung