Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your go to canned foods?

Banned
    Type
    ISFP

What are your go to canned foods?

What kinds of canned food do you like to keep on hand? And do you eat anything straight out of the can?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I never eat out of the can, but I keep:

Campbells chunky; Gumbo, Wicked Thai, Jambalaya (I have other flavors, but they tend to just sit there for a year or two) - these soups are great as they last a few years and you can amp them up by adding some more meat. I like to add a breast of bojangles fried chicken.

Campbells won ton condensed.

Pineapple rings

smoked oysters

pink salmon

Tuna in oil

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Why tuna in oil? I've seen it but have never bought it. I always get in water. Never even thought to get it in oil.

Type
    INTp
    Chopped spinach, chunky pineapple, and tuna in water are my top 3 pics.

And yes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7lMlz3DX_Q
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INTx
    Corned beef hash
    Spam
    Solid tuna in water
    Jellied cranberry
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Mostly beans, I think.

Soaking beans yourself takes a ridiculously long time only to produce the exact same result as someone else having already done the same thing at a canning plant, so maintaining a stockpile of canned beans is a no-brainer approach to eating them.

There's no such thing as eating pinto or kidney beans "fresh" either way (different story for things like green beans or edamame, obviously), and once you have properly soaked beans on hand they're a really easy thing to throw in to a low-effort lazy meal, so I definitely tend to keep a cupboard stocked with a bunch of cans of them.

By the same token, chili. The caveat being that there are a whole lot of interesting things you can do with chili, so making my own chili is often an enjoyable thing to do, but I'd classify that as a whole different category of chili experience than eating commercial brand of it. If I just need to eat and don't want to do any work, canned chili is pretty damn optimized for that. It's like the perfect lazy food.

Canned pineapple is also reasonably equivalent to what I'd get slicing one up myself, so that can be nice as a handy light snack.

But I can't think of any other fruit, or for that matter very many vegetables, that I would ever eat out of a can on my own volition.

Definitely a lot of childhood emotional scars from canned peaches in particular having been the bane of my existence. Canned peaches are straight up disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    Why tuna in oil? I've seen it but have never bought it. I always get in water. Never even thought to get it in oil.
    You know how tuna in water needs mayo or miracle whip, minimum, to make it taste good? Tuna in oil doesn't. It's pre-dressed--albeit minimally--and costs the same.

I keep canned beans and various types of canned tomatoes on hand.

I also usually have some canned fruit.

I never have canned vegetables save those that come as part of a can of soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Soaking beans yourself takes a ridiculously long time only to produce the exact same result as someone else having already done the same thing at a canning plant, so maintaining a stockpile of canned beans is a no-brainer approach to eating them.
    This is why I have canned beans--but, this policy predates having an electric pressure cooker. An electric pressure cooker allows you to skip the pre-soaking and still get the same results. That said, I still keep canned beans on hand for convenience. Even with a pressure cooker, you have to sort out the occasional rock and the more common cracked bean if you want to avoid broken teeth and bitterness respectively.

Still, it's pretty awesome to be able to throw a bag's worth of dried beans in the pressure cooker, cover them with chicken stock and have them ready in an hour or so. I like having that option and exercise it regularly if not frequently.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    sardines and mackerel
    chickpeas

It's generally additives to my lunch-time salad.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    For the most part only beans, corn, and chickpeas. I will eat tuna but I don't typically buy it.

And no, not straight out of the can. What is this, the depression?

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    garbanzo beans and coconut milk (for cooking curry)

i just get the cans when i know i'll need them later in a recipe. i don't keep cans of stuff around (though maybe i should for emergencies).

i get beans dried and soak. idk if this makes a difference but i only cook beans mixed into quinoa or rice in a rice cooker. i'd be afraid with canned beans that they'd get mushy.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD