Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your go to canned foods?

Type
    INTP
    green beans
    peas
    corn
    black beans
    garbanzo beans
    I generally have some combination of these on hand. I won't eat them straight out of the can but out of the can into a sauce pan to heat as the rest of my dinner cooks. Just a couple of shots of pepper and their basically good to go. These are just for myself. If having someone over I'd do something like grill corn on the cob or soak dried black beans over night and then cook for 3 hours.

I will get tuna but don't eat it that often. Primarily there for sandwiches. I also have some chili in cans. I'm not a big chili guy but I like having the cans in case I wanna have some chilidogs. The other stays stored w/extra water for earthquake preparedness supplies.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Kirby brand black beans are my favorite. I keep them upside down in the cabinet so they come out of the can better.

Not many canned fruit folks. I've got some canned Mandarin oranges I've yet to try.

I like Margaret Holmes brand canned veggies too. I'll eat her collards right out of the can cold. Tomatoes with okra is also nice

Type
    INTP
    Mine should have been the first reply, but the it didn't post (a frequent occurrence these days)

Mine go to cans are beans, tomatoes, fruit, and soups .

Oh yeah, and tuna.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INtP
    Everything canned I buy is an ingredient that goes in a dish (i.e. tomato sauce, stewed or diced tomatoes, kidney beans, green chilies). It's rare for me to buy canned things.

My parents bought a lot more canned goods. My dad would eat baked beans straight out of the tin on occasion.

Maybe if I turn into one of those weird survivalists freaks I will invest more in canned goods. This should be their target market.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Maybe if I turn into one of those weird survivalists freaks I will invest more in canned goods. This should be their target market.
    Don't forget the Mormons! They're big on that, but it's a different flavor than the image that usually comes to mind in thinking about preppers. Mostly less camouflage and more babies.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Usually they have a lot of sodium, so I try not to buy too much canned food. (I prefer frozen vegetables to canned ones.)

However, I buy canned sardines in tomato sauce and canned heart of palm quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Like some others, its general policy in this household to buy canned food because its an ingredient that needs to go in something: and usually because there's no practical alternative.

Most of the people in this thread have the main ones already: some tomato derivatives, kidney beans, coconut milk/cream, chickpeas, tuna, pineapple (usually because we don't need to consume a whole one).

I'm struggling to think of anything canned that we'd keep on hand as policy, and eating something that directly comes from the tin, with the possible exception of tuna and nuclear holocaust, is , i admit, somewhat troubling in my mind as a concept...

Tomatoes (San Marzano, for making sauce)
    Sometimes canned beans
    Coconut milk

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Usually they have a lot of sodium, so I try not to buy too much canned food. (I prefer frozen vegetables to canned ones.)
    I think about the sodium too but many of the canned goods I get at Costco are pretty low. Frozen sometimes taste better but it's hard to measure out the right amount from a bag when they sometimes stick together in clumps.

If you put frozen peas in a food processor they make an excellent substitution for avocados in guacamole dip.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    pineapple (usually because we don't need to consume a whole one).
    I love the taste of pineapple. I often have a can or two on hand. I typically only use them in dishes come Thanksgiving. Even then, I'll have some leftover that I jar up in my fridge and then never use. There are plenty of desserts I could put them in. But if I ever want to make something that features pineapple as a primary ingredient that's when I'll get a fresh one.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    I'm struggling to think of anything canned that we'd keep on hand as policy, and eating something that directly comes from the tin, with the possible exception of tuna and nuclear holocaust, is , i admit, somewhat troubling in my mind as a concept...
    My hope is Russian or Chinese attack subs will make LA a primary target so I'm gone with the first flash of light. If they try to make downtown ground zero there's a dice throw chance I could be far enough away to survive the initial blast. Then a 72 hour hangover from hell as the radiation rots my insides. What a crappy way to go.

Type
    xNxx
    Beans of all kinds
    Tuna in water
    Salmon in water

I'll eat the fish right out of the can, just take a bite out of the middle and fill it with ponzu. mm