Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your go to canned foods?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Mostly beans, I think.

Soaking beans yourself takes a ridiculously long time only to produce the exact same result as someone else having already done the same thing at a canning plant, so maintaining a stockpile of canned beans is a no-brainer approach to eating them.

There's no such thing as eating pinto or kidney beans "fresh" either way (different story for things like green beans or edamame, obviously), and once you have properly soaked beans on hand they're a really easy thing to throw in to a low-effort lazy meal, so I definitely tend to keep a cupboard stocked with a bunch of cans of them.

By the same token, chili. The caveat being that there are a whole lot of interesting things you can do with chili, so making my own chili is often an enjoyable thing to do, but I'd classify that as a whole different category of chili experience than eating commercial brand of it. If I just need to eat and don't want to do any work, canned chili is pretty damn optimized for that. It's like the perfect lazy food.

Canned pineapple is also reasonably equivalent to what I'd get slicing one up myself, so that can be nice as a handy light snack.

But I can't think of any other fruit, or for that matter very many vegetables, that I would ever eat out of a can on my own volition.

Definitely a lot of childhood emotional scars from canned peaches in particular having been the bane of my existence. Canned peaches are straight up disgusting.
    Agree 100 on beans.

Absolutely no on pineapple, are you crazy? Fresh pineapple is delicious, canned is blech

Type
    INTP
    Tomato products
    Beans
    Pumpkin
    Coconut milk

There are also some unidentified cans with missing labels in our pantry. I blame rhinosaur for that.

We usually deal in dried beans but I keep a couple cans around for when I'm feeling too lazy to soak and cook them.

Type
    INTP
    I interpreted this as canned foods you can eat as a meal, not as an ingredient to preparing a meal, so I will stick to that.

Soups, canned chili (when I am too lazy to make my own), tuna/salmon for the most part. Although I have been known to eat the odd can of spam like meat or alphagetti on toast (takes me back to my childhood).

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Just to be sure, for the dumbass Australian, when you guys are saying chili, you generally mean this and not this, right?

I only ask because the first isn't really a staple/thing here, and I don't know if i've ever seen the later in a can (though other Aussies can chime in and tell me i'm out of touch...)

Type
    INTP
    Sockeye or Pink Salmon
    Smoked Oysters
    Sardines
    Tuna
    Peaches
    Tomatoes
    Coconut Milk
    Chickpeas
    Pineapple
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Just to be sure, for the dumbass Australian, when you guys are saying chili, you generally mean this and not this, right?

I only ask because the first isn't really a staple/thing here, and I don't know if i've ever seen the later in a can (though other Aussies can chime in and tell me i'm out of touch...)
    I assume people are talking about the first but the other is available as well, usually in small cans.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Agree 100 on beans.

Absolutely no on pineapple, are you crazy? Fresh pineapple is delicious, canned is blech
    Yeah I thought pineapple was disgusting until I tasted fresh.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I find fresh to be too acidic. Gimme dat corn syrup soak. Imma hab dat.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I like both. However, I'm always disgusted when something claiming to have pineapple flavor turns out to be canned pineapple, heavy on the can.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Tomatoes (San Marzano, for making sauce)
    Sometimes canned beans
    Coconut milk
    San Marzano are the beessst for sauce

I like to have crushed pineapple on hand for salads like Watergate salad or desserts like hummingbird cake