Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Unscientific Things You Believe

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    All problems are really spiritual problems. People's problems are caused by a lack of spiritual truth and love in their hearts. Experiencing love opens people's hearts to receiving the spiritual truth they need to overcome their problems and will make them more loving, even individuals considered to be beyond hope.

My experience has verified this to my satisfaction numerous times but science is predicated on naturalism (a philosophy that denies the existence of everything outside of the natural).
    Yeah, TBH this makes me cringe Guess Who. But at the same time, there's truth there. But it's hidden behind vague terms/words/psuedo... stuff?. I'll give this one try, then withdraw. Experience tells me my try is pointless (not you personally, just in general people are married to their beliefs)... but I like you for some reason, so I kind of "believe in you" ironically enough. Take the phrase "Lack of spiritual truth and love in their hearts" and research it. Research the semantics of it and break it down into its constituent parts. Lack and Truth are pretty basic words, but spiritual, hearts, and definitely love are very broad semantically. Break those three down into something precise and specific. Maybe turn that sentence into many sentences using more specific words. Spend an entire week researching just the word spiritual, then the word heart, then the word love... from both a poetic AND scientific perspective. See how many more specific sentences you can make out of that one phrase that all add up to that one phrase?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    LOL - Up until the agent divulged the issue with the bathroom, I was puzzled. I knew there had to be something wrong based on his reactions, but I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be. - I was thinking maybe the little bridge thingamajig across the tub maybe. When he said it was the color, I was like.. yeah! Most tubs are white they are! Then I wished I'd paused the vid before being given the answer.

Anyway, it might surprise you to know that I don't "believe in" any of that stuff. Freedom, morality, US constitution, sexual prefs, etc... I don't "believe in" any of it. I prefer some of it as it's what I'm used to or even a personal preference of mine, as many people who've grown attached to white bathtubs apparently prefer white bathtubs? But I certainly don't believe in it as a be all end all for everyone, or even as the best option available. "It might be, but I doubt it" is my usual thought for such things. The fact that people turn personal preferences into beliefs I do believe is likely the cause of much of human suffering. Likely. I'm not certain about much of anything. I muse a lot. Change my mind often, though my mind is never settled 100% on much. I'd make a terrible politician. I do believe 99% that this is the most objective way to view most things though.
    All right, you win this round grasshoper.

But I'm still leaving it open for you to say something about people who play music on loudspeakers on public transport...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Yeah, TBH this makes me cringe Guess Who. But at the same time, there's truth there. But it's hidden behind vague terms/words/psuedo... stuff?. I'll give this one try, then withdraw. Experience tells me my try is pointless (not you personally, just in general people are married to their beliefs)... but I like you for some reason, so I kind of "believe in you" ironically enough. Take the phrase "Lack of spiritual truth and love in their hearts" and research it. Research the semantics of it and break it down into its constituent parts. Lack and Truth are pretty basic words, but spiritual, hearts, and definitely love are very broad semantically. Break those three down into something precise and specific. Maybe turn that sentence into many sentences using more specific words. Spend an entire week researching just the word spiritual, then the word heart, then the word love... from both a poetic AND scientific perspective. See how many more specific sentences you can make out of that one phrase that all add up to that one phrase?
    Thanks for asking. I think I can clarify what I said.

heart = the part of humans that gives rise to our desires. It is primarily our desires which give rise to our words and actions. We can use our willpower to resist acting on our desires but the ultimate solution is to transform the heart so that it no longer gives rise to desires that cause harm for ourselves and others.
    love = taking a genuine interest in others as unique and valuable individuals and making and effort to treat them well according to their individual needs.
    spiritual truth = an understanding of the above two points plus the realisation that materialism (feeling important through posessing money, fame, social standing, power etc.) and carnality (pursuing sensual pleasures) are of no real value and that we should instead seek to become more loving and transform our hearts to ones that gives rise to pure desires.
    On the wrong side of history