Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unscientific Things You Believe

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    The soul is a real, immortal entity, but not all people have one.

Type
    INTP
    To my regret and amazement, Tarot cards continue to accurately describe the context, and many times the outcome, of issues I'm chewing on - , where rational analysis, and ad-nauseam deliberation fail to help me make up my mind in a definitive and satisfactory way.

Type
    INFP
    I believe Athena was an INFJ, but really good at playing a T.

Type
    InTP
    I believe that simply believing you deserve something will make you more likely to get that thing, and in many cases is a necessary step to getting it.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I believe in the love between my brothers and my sisters
    aa-aa-aa-aall over this land.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    The soul is a real, immortal entity, but not all people have one.
    Are u referring to gingers

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    To my regret and amazement, Tarot cards continue to accurately describe the context, and many times the outcome, of issues I'm chewing on - , where rational analysis, and ad-nauseam deliberation fail to help me make up my mind in a definitive and satisfactory way.
    I believe this is because they are surfaces made for projection. They present a puzzle for you: how does this apply? A formal spread also produces a shaping context, which ironically is an aid rather than a hindrance. Restrictions help with creativity in much the same way the ground helps you lift something.

The reason it describes things so well is because you are the one ultimately making the description and making the description fit.

You can be aware of it and still have it work. I find echoes of my problems in stories all the time. Sometimes it seems almost spooky, like Netflix is somehow presenting things that are most relevant to me on a meta level. They aren't.

I believe it's a reverse dream. In dreams the tumble of our mind grabs images and themes of our present life and puts on a play for us. In these waking dreams our subconscious is doing the same thing just with the images and ideas in front of us in that moment.

I have no idea how to test such a hypothesis though. The problem of interpretation is recursive.

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQLogan View Post
    I believe that simply believing you deserve something will make you more likely to get that thing, and in many cases is a necessary step to getting it.
    Scientific or not, this is logically sound. It's a bit like saying being hungry increases the odds of getting a sandwich.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by slush puppie View Post
    it means i believe in a whole lot of things that would be considered unscientific and irrational in the eyes of the cult of science.

i'm a big fan of science, though. i just don't care for the culture.
    Slap me some skin, homeslice!
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

The multiverse (infinite parallel universes) exists, time repeats itself infinitely via a big bang/heat death cycle. We do our lives over and over again forever with minor fluctuations. It's also completely irrelevant because there isn't any way to communicate between parallel branes or temporal iterations- that we're going to know about for a thousand years.

Aliens definitely exist through the panspermia theory but we're not going to see any in this lifetime unless it's dead bacteria on Mars. Humans are a fruiting body of the planet Earth and paradoxically the illusion of individuality helps them function better as a collective since betrayal of trust results in more ground covered (that one has actually been studied).

In the (far) future not only will there be sentient androids, but human based cyborgs will continue to exist and carry on kind of like the way chimpanzees are still out there doing their thing even though they already blew their evolutionary wad.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Mean spirited thoughts about other people make your face more troll-like. It's not conspicuous when you're young but it shows up in your 30s - 40s.
    I agree. It's a corollary of the saying, "At 50 everyone has the face they deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Tarot cards help channel your intuition, which is more powerful -- and more accurate -- than most rational people give it credit for.

Heph beat me to it (damn you!) but used more words to say it.

Here's mine: If you're searching for something, really searching for something, and not finding it, it's time to stop searching and let it come to you. Call it the Siddhartha hypothesis.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro