Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unscientific Things You Believe

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I agree. It's a corollary of the saying, "At 50 everyone has the face they deserve."
    ...or can afford...

Tarot cards help channel your intuition, which is more powerful -- and more accurate -- than most rational people give it credit for.

Heph beat me to it (damn you!) but used more words to say it.
    Agreed with both you and Heph

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    the fuck does this mean
    I can't speak to what someone else means beyond what they actually said, but if I'm not mistaken he's alluding to the main thing that Michel Foucault was on about all the time for several decades.

That is, no conceivable method of acquiring--or in Foucault's words "producing"--knowledge can ever be culturally, politically, or ideologically neutral. Much less the actual tangible institutions that societies create for the purpose of organizing endeavors like education and scientific research.

All claims of knowledge are assertions of Wille zur Macht and therefore cannot ever be made immune to the influences of other social processes that determine how power is distributed and exercised in the surrounding cultural environment in which the claims are asserted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    "unscientific" huh

Scientific experiments seem to support my beliefs which nevertheless contradict the view of the universe that is popularly thought of as "scientific": the clockwork universe that is deterministic and unconscious and purely physical.

I believe we are part of a greater consciousness that extends beyond the brain, I believe that conscious decisions in and of themselves change the world, I think we were created purposefully.

I believe in the divine and the power of faith.

Type
    INTP
    I associate the scientific method with Christianity in that both demand more of fallible human beings than most can manage. Imagine having built a career and a professional reputation on a theory and some young whippersnapper comes up with another theory that blows yours out of the water. Do you do the scientific thing (respect the truth) or the human thing (defend your ego)?
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    The soul is a real, immortal entity, but not all people have one.
    +1
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I think Thomas Kuhn has provided the current most accurate description for how science actually operates.

I'm a scientific pragmatist, not a realist.

I'm a strong-subjectivist in terms of probability theory and stats.

I think consciousness "precedes/is primary/comes before/choose your inaccurate phrase" the material (the current zeitgeist's words, not mine) world. To try to explain the former in terms of the later is to chase a logic puzzle with a faulty premise.

I don't currently believe the world is understandable, but rationality and logic are our best tools for pragmatically operating in it.

I don't currently believe humans share a common universal experience of consciousness (but i'd debate whether that's unscientific or whether the general premise that we do/are directly comparable to each other has more to do with 20th century ideology and "humanism/universality" than anything involving actual data/theory).

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    not believe per se but i live by a loose interpretation of karma.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    XXXX
    1) Consciousness persists after the death of the body. At least for some period of time; maybe just a few hours before it is reabsorbed back into the ether / universe / unified field / blah blah bullshit newage nomenclature that I hate.

2) Everything is interconnected. Any sentience -- whether it be human, insect or whatever -- is that same interconnectedness that has evolved into a discrete form that is temporary and illusory. Whoever is reading this sentence is, fundamentally, the same "thing" as me, the person writing it.

3) Your habitual thoughts influence your reality to some degree. I would attribute much of my success in life to this, although I did it unconsciously.

4) Atheists and materialists throw out the baby but keep the bathwater. Then congratulate themselves for it, as if it they achieved something.
    Last edited by Pan_Sonic; 07-10-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo

Table Cloth Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Mario Odyssey is proof that God and love exists.
    I forget but I donít forgive

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    not believe per se but i live by a loose interpretation of karma.
    I've always thought karma was a pretty rational concept. All actions have appropriate consequences.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/