Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unscientific Things You Believe

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ

Type
    INXX
    I can kill people with my mind.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    paradoxically the illusion of individuality helps them function better as a collective since betrayal of trust results in more ground covered (that one has actually been studied)..
    Can you expand on this?
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    We (and all sentient beings) are the eyes and ears and conscience of the creator of the universe.

I believe in the power of the evil eye and small protection rituals... Which is still not completely unscientific if you take into account factors like social stress and the placebo effect.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Perpetual motion. The idea that there are objects unconnected to other things at levels we'll never know about is unfounded. It's possible to draw on energy from this and other universes and if there's an infinite multiverse then you'll never run out of energy. It would be impossible to know whether it's really perpetual but it's possible.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    Some cool ideas being float around, amazing how close to The Law of One some of them are.

Questioner: Why does this partaking in the original thought have a gradient radially outward? That’s the way I understand your statement.

Ra: I am Ra. This is the plan of the One Infinite Creator. The One Original Thought is the harvest of all previous, if you would use this term, experience of the Creator by the Creator. As It decides to know Itself It generates Itself into that plenum, full of the glory and the power of the One Infinite Creator which is manifested to your perceptions as space or outer space. Each generation of this knowing begets a knowing which has the capacity, through free will, to choose methods of knowing Itself. Therefore, gradually, step by step, the Creator becomes that which may know Itself, and the portions of the Creator partake less purely in the power of the original word or thought. This is for the purpose of refinement of the one original thought. The Creator does not properly create as much as It experiences Itself.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Infinity.
    I can't believe there's such a thing as infinite anything.
    Then I start to think about how it's both not possible to exist and not exist and I get that "edge of a cliff" feeling and butterflies.

I shouldn't be here!

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Can you expand on this?
    I would but it's probably bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Last edited by flurps; 07-10-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    We (and all sentient beings) are the eyes and ears and conscience of the creator of the universe.
    If by conscience, you mean consciousness, then I agree.

I think many of us are expressing the same thing in unique ways. We recognize that mind and the properties *of* mind are worth consideration but do not have to include religious or pseudo-spiritual bullshit in the discussion; something I personally have a distaste for.

I'm willing to go as far as labeling it 'phenomena' because that is exactly what it is to me. Something anomalous, without clear reference to a cause.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think the illusion of being part of a meta-consciousness stems from not recognizing the many "silent" parts of our nervous system. Silent in the sense they do not speak in language as our inner narrator does. We do not understand or recognize our connection to ourselves and mistake it for connection to something outside ourself. This misconception is further facilitated by awareness of interdependence and observations about similarity. But thinking and doing similar things does not make me you or you me. Parts are neither the whole nor another part regardless of their necessity to the whole or their interdependence on other parts.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)