Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Unscientific Things You Believe

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    You're welcome?

Consciousness is a loaded word. So is connection. I doubt either is happening externally, even when I speak of an antennae to the aether. I'm not talking about something either of those would describe. But I can totally understand people preferring to believe they were in contact with a meta-consciousness when a thought outside their internal narrative or what they had their attention on comes sliding into their head. It's way less frightening and stigmatizing than thinking it might be the result of other "selves" within you. Just approaching that idea springs Sybil and DID to mind. I get it. But split brain freakiness suggested to me that that needed re-thinking. The tested behaviors aside, the instant confabulation of speaking hemisphere shows why it would be hard to be aware of it.

Then there's the enteric nervous system. It ain't just to keep the plumbing running. It houses most of our neurotransmitters, and science has demonstrated it is not a slave system to the brain in our head. They affect each other. This is why comfort food is a thing. It's also why our emotions are felt so much in our torso.

That's at least three potential consciousnesses. I know no reason to believe the upper limit is small.
    Yeah but did you take the hippie drugs? Did you feel it, man? Or did you just think it?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    Yeah but did you take the hippie drugs? Did you feel it, man? Or did you just think it?
    Shrooms and LSD.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Shrooms and LSD.
    Lame, up your dose

Type
    INTP

Tarot

I believe this is because they are surfaces made for projection. They present a puzzle for you: how does this apply? A formal spread also produces a shaping context, which ironically is an aid rather than a hindrance. Restrictions help with creativity in much the same way the ground helps you lift something.

The reason it describes things so well is because you are the one ultimately making the description and making the description fit.

You can be aware of it and still have it work. I find echoes of my problems in stories all the time. Sometimes it seems almost spooky, like Netflix is somehow presenting things that are most relevant to me on a meta level. They aren't.

I believe it's a reverse dream. In dreams the tumble of our mind grabs images and themes of our present life and puts on a play for us. In these waking dreams our subconscious is doing the same thing just with the images and ideas in front of us in that moment.
    I'm so glad I found you all today. I used to lurk at INTP central over 10 years ago when I was a wee lass. Your words here made me create an account so thank you. I've too found tarot to be a surprisngly excellent way to access my hidden desires, beliefs, and thoughts (my unconscious?). I see you mention that TV seems to be another way for you to access deeper parts of yourself. Do you have any other methods you can share?

I've found going on hikes and exploring nature to help me; even the way the water drips over moss can suddenly become a meaningful metaphor for something I think is important to learn or meditate on at that moment in time. Occasional low dosages of cannabis helps as well. I've never yet combined the two (lightbulb moment!).

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Noodler, welcome! Glad you found us.

I also read about neuroscience. Knowing more about common patterns of thought helps me empathize with others, and disrupt negative thought patterns--or at least it gives me a fighting chance.

Art helps too. It helps you enter a flow state from which helps you discover things.

Hiking and traveling exercise are great for general mental stimulation. I think for most, it's key to clearing your head. Out gives you lots of time for mental simulations of all sorts.

The real question though, is what are you trying to discover?
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    @Noodler -- welcome aboard. Tarot... I could say (and have said) quite a bit about the subject (see the link in my sig, heh). In short, as an experienced and active Tarot reader (for myself and others), I would simply say that it is a useful introspective/quasi-meditative instrument, at best. Can it be helpful? Of course. Does it possess any occult nature? No.

Type
    INTP
    The idea of "old souls" is objectively bullshit, but it sure seems like some people have the wisdom of several lifetimes.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    The idea of "old souls" is objectively bullshit, but it sure seems like some people have the wisdom of several lifetimes.
    To be fair, that's fairly easy to come by these days – by reading.

It's bemusing that it's possible to imbibe the entire life's work and wisdom of great men like Seneca or Gracián in a matter of days, yet hardly anybody chooses to do so.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's easier to ask what scientific things I believe.

Anyway, astrology - "fun to think about".
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Anyway, astrology - "fun to think about".
    i happen to really identify with my signs... :X

(sun in libra, moon in leo, capricorn ascendant)

it's not about belief, it's a conversation / small talk topic. haha.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly