2 20.00%
  • As I get it now

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life Pain

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    End, obviously. Because I'll have lived all my good life and then can commit suicide, skip the pain, go straight to black.

Is this a trick question?
    Yes- one of the pains is the anguish in knowing you're indestructible until you've experienced the result of your forbearance. (Also, any pain incurred while attempting to damage your body to point of total system failure would be felt)
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Too much hardship early in life isn't ideal because you're building defenses and all the mental and emotional tools that you're going to need to engage the world. Not that people can't overcome early trauma, but I wouldn't choose it for anyone. The rhetorical approach to survivors sometimes adopts exceedingly celebratory tones that I find a bit cringe-worthy, as if something dark or broken is being minimized. I dunno. Not to say admiration isn't in order. But the whole "life is a bitch but look at what a baddass you can become", well it's not so simple, and it's annoying.
    i don't like anything being reduced down to some simple and inaccurate narrative like that, but it's important after pain to know that new beginnings are possible.

kinda like falling in love after the first, significant, terrible break up you've had, when you don't think it could happen again.

sounds cliche but the experience of having hope and finding joy again is like a gift.

i wouldn't wish it on anyone else either but survivors sometimes need to hear those things since that's the card they've already been dealt.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    I can't really conceive of how this would work.

Most of the true suffering in life for the average person (one not chronically ill) is emotional. So how does one concentrate that? Consider loss of a loved one. If I choose 'end of life' does that also mean everybody I love does not die until I am very old? Does every romantic relationship last until I choose to end it or until I am very old? You can't really move the pain from these losses since the pain comes from the 'no longer having'. And if you defer the loss that causes the pain, you are really messing with fate .

I don't see how you can pack the grief into a short window at an indeterminate period, and then when the loss occurs, you would theoretically be unconcerned until your selected pain period arrives.

For example, If a child loses their parents, and somehow feels nothing on the pain deferral plan, they still have no parents, which is the actual loss. Making them numb to the pain at the time won't really change anything.

Type
    INTP
    I guess I'm the only one too superstitious and anxious to answer this question in case I jinx myself.

Type
    xNxx
    Right now, stack them all at once and front load it, whatever it is, getting my eye gouged out, being destroyed in a nuclear blast, all fingernails ripped off, kidney stone, all of it simultaneously so that I lose my mind. All the PTSD from all of that at once too, stacked vertically please.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Beginning and done. There is no need to worry about that fucking you over in life because if it did, that's Life Pain, which means it can't screw you over later in life or the bargain was a lie. But it can offer perspective.

I think that if you could knowingly front-load all your life pain, it would give you the greatest shot at popping out the other side like a champagne cork. I also think those last elderly years should be better than we currently expect because the promise of no more life pain would mean the worst parts couldn't happen. It's a mistake to judge these phases based on our present experience of them because the premise involves dramatically changing them.

However... It might mean your life would have to be much much shorter. The length of each phase is undefined. So is the method of accomplishing the feat. I might change my answer if it's done by making me a leprous psychopath.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    I think the thought of pain creates pain, so maybe you donít have to experience it when ya get old, and maybe thatís a healthy thought. Thatís what I think anyway. Take it as I go.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I just know I wouldn't want it at the beginning. A lot of pain at the beginning of life has the potential to fuck you up for life. Intense pain in ages 0-4 changes your fucking brain. NOPE
    This is my thought as well. I'd say I'd like it spread out, with the pain increasing as time goes, but not linearly. More like peaks and troughs, with the peaks getting higher or more frequent as time goes. Thus, as the pain increases, so would my coping ability. If the worst pain is right before death I won't be so sad to go. I think this is how life goes for most people, even those with fucked up childhoods (those people tend to live fucked up lives). This assumes that I'm asked to pick sometime before my conscious life begins, and conscious alive me doesn't know of the deal that was struck.

On the other hand, if I'm being asked to pick a span of years and I know this is happening, then I guess I'd front load it more. If I know the pain is temporary it makes it easier to bear. The problem with life is that when times are tough you don't know if/when things are going to start looking up. I still don't think I'd take it all at once at any point in life because of the aforementioned concern of building coping mechanisms.

Type
    INTp
    I think that in Campbell's hero journey, life pain peaks in the middle and sets the stage for some sort of heroic ending...as together one's physical and mental attributes are presumably strongest at that time and capable of contending with pain most successfully, and make the transition from that "peak pain" appear most reasonable.

With that said, offering the choice of when to receive that pain seems somewhat disingenuous, as the element of surprise is gone.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.