Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming Your Stuff

Type
    INXj

Naming Your Stuff

Do you do this? I know 4 people who do, including myself.

I name my laptop, my phone, my car. Iím still trying to understand why but I guess ownership. I want to identify things I own and names just make it easier. Itís something I donít share with just anyone though.

My friends think itís weird and I just laugh it out loud because I donít care if itís weird.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I do - I called a Jeep I had "the donkey" and a Suzuki, "R2". I call my exercise equipment my hamster wheels. I like to give people in my life nicknames too. I think mostly because doing so tickles my fancy.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I tend to nickname people I guess but not things.

A group of women used to hang outside one apartment complex I lived at and I named them roots, thighs, and Yentl

I was in a car club and a lot of people would name their cars, but I've never done that, though I will detail and buff my cars to a mirror like shine and ask, "you like that, don't you?" but they don't really respond.

I've always wanted to name a dog 'Colin', or maybe 'Brian'.

Oh! my phone and my kindle! I named those, so yes.

My phone is called "titty biscuits" because I'm amused like a child at the thought of car rental people seeing the last paired device names.
    And my Kindle is "Mark's kindle schmindle bo-bindle" which is funny as hell if you've ever had to speak to Amazon (as I once did) and they read it out to you.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Absolutely! Not everything, but a trusted companion deserves a name.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Sometimes I call dudes the female version of themselves in association with the name of the female they remind me of, and I say it sometimes too. Thanks Sarah. Hey Jessica, nice cat.
    Memelogical qoutient

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Absolutely! Not everything, but a trusted companion deserves a name.
    Nigga you Jeph R. R. Phaestus.
    Memelogical qoutient

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    I was in a car club and a lot of people would name their cars, but I've never done that, though I will detail and buff my cars to a mirror like shine and ask, "you like that, don't you?" but they don't really respond.
    Don't they Limey? Don't they?

Oh! my phone and my kindle! I named those, so yes.

My phone is called "titty biscuits" because I'm amused like a child at the thought of car rental people seeing the last paired device names.
    And my Kindle is "Mark's kindle schmindle bo-bindle" which is funny as hell if you've ever had to speak to Amazon (as I once did) and they read it out to you.
    I read this out to my wife, and she rolled her eyes and groaned.

But I retorted: "That's pretty rich coming from the woman who named the chromecast SexMachine"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Limes, I hadn't thought of the customer service angle. I'll have to see if I can rename my kindle: "It burns when I read", and make up a reason to call.

My computer equipment gets names that correlate to edged weaponry. Desktop is a claymore, my tablet is a dagger, and my laptop in college was a backsword because it was always in my backpack and it may not be obvious but I'm a little fond of puns.

And that is why my Stylo 3 phone is dubbed "Styletto".
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I don't name things but I have tried to talk to them through telekinesis. I don't think it's weird when people do it. Maybe some of the elements around me are a bit too temporary. Maybe I don't want non-named items to be jealous. "Like, why did you name the fridge and not me?" asks the TV. "Let's see if you you'll come crying to me by name if I quit working during the playoffs!"

Type
    INTP
    Ha, not a lot of things, but I do seem to be in the habit of giving names to my internet forum avatars.

(I rarely change one after I've initially signed up with it, so picking new ones has a certain air of ritual about it--giving names to the ones I've used before just seems appropriate under the circumstances.)

This one's just called Screwhead, but the one I used on Central of the guy with the amputated upper jaw is named Smiley.

I used Smiley on Facebook for a while, but I switched it after my mom complained about having to look at it when she wanted to communicate with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.