Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you introduce MBTI

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    I refuse to talk about it because the only person I know who gets anything out of it is me. As far as I'm concerned it's an IFF system for autists, and everybody else it either bores or offends. I can't even say "IFF system for autists" in public. The only person I ever met who knew about it in the wild is a retired esfp librarian who had brain surgery and now lives in a trailer across the street from a graveyard, with her husband a native american window washer.
    You've been in Portland for too long.
    I read Palahniuk's book on Portland. It was crap.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's funny that the majority of us have largely written it off as a viable or useful tool, yet here we are.
    There's definitely something of use in this sorting mechanism, but the indication it provides is only slightly useful, or indicative of that pre-conceived notion for the person holding the moniker. After-all, I've always believed that all bets are off when there are any caveats to type, such as neuroses or mental health conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    You've been in Portland for too long.
    I read Palahniuk's book on Portland. It was crap.
    If we ever had a chance to leave it was sealed off by hitting our 30s, having a kid and blowing our savings on rent before getting decent jobs. The only way out of here is death.

Type
    INTP
    I'll usually ask if they've ever heard of the myers-briggs test. Many have, most don't remember their type. Maybe one or two letters. For the longest I wasn't good at typing people. Prolly still not. The ones I'm most curious about are line splitters. I've been surprised by a couple ESFJs. They seem totally engaged with big picture discussions but I realize those are the cases I'm doing the majority of the talking. They've also seemed to "get me" when being in introvert mode but still happy to be out.

It'd be difficult at times finding what I thought was an accurate test that wasn't like 10,000 questions long. I just say it's a test that renders a four letter code based on your personality type, which is how you relate to or interact with the world. I don't know if I try to sell it or make excuses for it. They offered the test and workshop on it at one of my old jobs. When I found out a couple of female attys were ENTJs I used to joke about them going out to sacrifice a baby during lunch or ask if they launched a coup in a 3rd world country over the w/e. They didn't know to much about it. They'd ask me what I was and I'd say the INTP is lazy underachieving nerd on the periodic table. And then say, but to you, everybody is a lazy under achiever. I always got along with them. They were always friendly, cordial and free flowing in conversation but then I'd hear about some kind of ego/power trip thing they'd do to a team member or someone below them in their dept and I'd be surprised but then remember..ah, ENTJ.

I think I used to bring it up more but I guess maybe as I recognize what people are more accurately on my own, I haven't felt as great of need or desire to do so.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    It's funny that the majority of us have largely written it off as a viable or useful tool, yet here we are.
    There's definitely something of use in this sorting mechanism, but the indication it provides is only slightly useful, or indicative of that pre-conceived notion for the person holding the moniker. After-all, I've always believed that all bets are off when there are any caveats to type, such as neuroses or mental health conditions.
    Ironic? This is possibly one of the reasons why this forum can't and won't sustain new blood. As I see it, of course.

In my estimation, about a third of the people I know or have been acquainted with, knows the difference between extraversion and introversion. Half of them are familiar with MBTI. I'd introduce MBTI as a personality assessment. I don't even qualify it as a test. It's like a Hogwarts sorting hat. While the hat can sort you to the Slytherin House based on your motivations and drive, you can still take up courage and stand for what you think is right like a Gryffindor. Personality traits are a continuum. While you can decide to take up action for what you think mirrors your values and thinking styles, there are still patterns that these personality tests are based off. That is why dichotomies (personality spectrums) are easier to grasp than pigeonholing people in boxes. We need more permutations than that!

Type
    INTp
    I just say, "Hey, wanna play a personality type game? I got to play it at work for 3 days and got paid for it!"

Yeah I admit I'm injecting some skepticism there, but from an MBTI perspective I think it would be seen as just my intuitive side being expressed and valued. Intuition relies on the belief in connections between seemingly disparate, even contradictory things...and that's our strongest publicly expressed trait if I remember the rules of MBTI correctly.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INTP
    Don't bother mentioning it. Also resist the urge to play at mind-reading. Just keep it to yourself.

Also, the tests are almost worthless. You'll get much better results from having someone with deep knowledge of the theory observe you over lots of time - ideally in various contexts.

By the way, it seems like most everyone I've met doesn't even understand introversion/extroversion. They typically think it has to do with "socialness", and you constantly have introverts thinking they're extroverts, and vice versa.

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishaad T. Cock View Post
    Don't bother mentioning it. Also resist the urge to play at mind-reading. Just keep it to yourself.

Also, the tests are almost worthless. You'll get much better results from having someone with deep knowledge of the theory observe you over lots of time - ideally in various contexts.

By the way, it seems like most everyone I've met doesn't even understand introversion/extroversion. They typically think it has to do with "socialness", and you constantly have introverts thinking they're extroverts, and vice versa.
    Re: I/E

Does it depend on Big 5 vs. MBTI?
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'