Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mitigating Culture Shock

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    You sound hypersensitive. It's not culture shock so much, it's sensory overstimulation. Culture shock and trouble with social interaction is just the manifestation of that. (Hence why introversion - the capacity to be easily stimulated - is associated with social anxiety).

... if you want to change, all you have to do is exposure therapy over the span of many years. Throw yourself into situations of increasing novelty with a very open mind, and an open attitude towards failure.

Have trouble picking up social norms? That's not an innate problem. You can learn to pick up social norms. No one is inherently bad at sensing social customs and norms. It's a skill that can be learned, like sports or art.

If you hold onto the thought "I don't want to be seen"... well you will never get over it. You have to ditch the false comforts of cynicism and misanthropy.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I hate to say this because I know how you feel about smartphones, but I think they are the best way to avoid having to interact with people in foreign countries. Apps help you navigate about public transport, you can usually buy tickets through them, you can consult maps on your phone and not have to ask strangers for directions, travel guides and travel aids are available, many hotels or airbnbs you can check in with your phone without having to deal with any human interaction, most cultural landmarks would have an app with information about everything you'd want to know about the place. Plus with some headphones you can drown people out, or create a barrier even if you're not listening to anything. An external battery pack is essential though.

Not sure if their usefulness in the realm of travel is enough for you to override your aversion though.
    i'm gonna have to agree with the smartphone thing too.

when i lived somewhere where i didn't know anyone and didn't speak the language, i relied on my smartphone a LOT. this might depend on the place but i found it sometimes more reliable than asking someone for directions in english. and i took really long walks, looking at my smartphone navigation, which i'm sure was weird but i didn't have a better way of getting around. when i knew where i was going (eventually, coming back and forth from my job and exploring certain neighborhoods) i would take really long walks listening to music, which is one of my favorite memories. an introvert's dream.

today there are way more apps and stuff to help with travel but i didn't know of any of those.

even just having your phone map tell you the best walking routes is so much help.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I have to agree that this sounds like regular anxiety rather than culture shock. I get the same thing whenever I'm somewhere, as you said, where I get a strong feeling that I don't belong. It has happenes with something as dumb as getting on the wrong train and/or winding up in the wrong neighborhood. That feeling of not knowing what to expect, how to behave, and how to stay safe can be a debilitating one.

Type
    INTP
    Actually, for Ptah, mainstream touristy stuff may be the answer. He wants to see the sights but not really experience the culture from what I can gather. It's those "immerse themselves in the culture" types that want to get off the beaten path, isn't it?

Unfortunately, seeing the famous sites in foreign countries means you have to deal with crowds, that's unavoidable. But you can still just wander through them without interacting if you choose.

I think Ptah need to get over his foreign food aversion. That's just plain weird. Remember his tale of visiting China where he basically starved himself and only ate a few things he had brought along? It was crazy. I mean, I'm not expecting you to eat octopus eyeballs or anything, but you can't eat some sort of chicken and rice stir-fry or even plain steamed rice? There exist plain ordinary staples in all cultures that even the most bland palate should find tolerable.

It's hard to advise Ptah on anything, since you really never know what direction his likes/dislikes might go. I mean dislike of near everything obviously, but for those odd things he actually likes, I can discern no pattern.

Type
    INTP
    One could effectively create an openness scale in which kari is on the one extreme and Ptah is on the other.
    With regards to fruits and vegetables, I'm a Ptah.
    With regards to music, I'm a kari - I'll listen to anything once.
    Last edited by Mxx; 07-16-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Edited for modesty

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    You sound hypersensitive. It's not culture shock so much, it's sensory overstimulation. Culture shock and trouble with social interaction is just the manifestation of that. (Hence why introversion - the capacity to be easily stimulated - is associated with social anxiety).

... if you want to change, all you have to do is exposure therapy over the span of many years. Throw yourself into situations of increasing novelty with a very open mind, and an open attitude towards failure.

Have trouble picking up social norms? That's not an innate problem. You can learn to pick up social norms. No one is inherently bad at sensing social customs and norms. It's a skill that can be learned, like sports or art.

If you hold onto the thought "I don't want to be seen"... well you will never get over it. You have to ditch the false comforts of cynicism and misanthropy.
    I am also very easily stimulated. When I go out to a place where there is a lot of noise, even if it's just a fucking grocery store, I have to come back and be in a dark silent room for at least an hour or so to feel like I am not gonna puke. This doesn't mean I don't want to be out there and see things and experience shit.

I have been working on exposure therapy, there really is no other way to get better at it, it's literally painful for me.

As an immigrant though, I can tell you the shock wears off when you find things that everyone does and notice them, like discipline their children, or get take out, or ride bikes, etc. if you focus on those things, not the differences, it helps.
    You and your mom are hil​lbillies. This is a house of learned doctors.