Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you small-talk?

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    With how divisive things like Trump vs. Hillary (and Sanders by extension) and Brexit have been this past few years, I think I'd rather talk about the fucking weather, rather than listen to another fucker's third hand opinion of why they dislike X or think they're right about y on their little soap box.
    This is coming from someone who would rather discuss taboo subjects than banality.

Hmm... I went away with a group from work the other day and an ex-Trident submariner was expressing his support for Trump including how great it was that he reintroduced sanctions against Iran... I asked what that was about. What was the fixation with Iran? Seems strange that the US will sell bombs to Saudi Arabia that they just used to kill 29 Yemeni school children but they hate Iran. Why did the CIA overthrow a democratically elected Iranian government and then train and support a brutal secret Iranian Police to keep the Shah in power?

I wonder how many people in charge of nuclear missiles believe whatever rhetoric they're fed?

Type
    INFP
    I'll comment on Limes's post since it's in proximity to my earlier post. That is, I want to describe how to handle politics when it arises in small talk, using my own system.

Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    With how divisive things like Trump vs. Hillary (and Sanders by extension) and Brexit have been this past few years, I think I'd rather talk about the fucking weather, rather than listen to another fucker's third hand opinion of why they dislike X or think they're right about y on their little soap box.
    This is coming from someone who would rather discuss taboo subjects than banality.
    I don't mind if the other person wants to rant about politics a bit as part of small talk. The way they express their politics is revealing. Do they have a simplistic or complex grasp of politics? Are they rabid or thoughtful?

Besides, using the system I mentioned in my previous post, I'm pretty much in control of the conversation. With a bunch of easy topics at my fingertips, I can let the other person rant for a couple minutes, get their measure, and then change the subject when I've had my fill.

The bigger question is how I present my own politics to others.

When I was working and in charge of stuff, I had a policy of "represent the office, not your ego." In other words, project responsible leadership, not my personal needs and whims. Strong political views tended to alienate people, so I mostly just took a neutral tone and said that I was apolitical and registered independent. I encouraged the other person to speak freely about their politics, but at the end I kind of shrugged my shoulders and changed the subject. And that practice tended to carry over into my social life.

Now that I'm retired, I still think along much the same terms as previously. Now my policy is "represent your agenda, not your ego." I figure out what I want to achieve or what I want to do in a given social activity or environment and then I work toward that. Again, strong political views tend to get in the way of most typical social agendas. So I simply don't express strong political views. I encourage the other person to speak freely about their politics, but at the end I kind of shrug my shoulders and change the subject.
    Last edited by RDF; 08-21-2018 at 05:57 AM.